Will Increasing Tension of a Two Loop Standing Wave Change its Frequency?

In summary, a question was asked about the result of increasing tension on a two loop standing wave without changing the frequency. The conclusion was that it would become a one loop standing wave, as determined by the formula f=2L/(n). The individual's thought process was deemed correct, but it was suggested that the question should be posted in the homework forum and filled out with the proper template. The thread was then closed.
echoi11
Hello all,

I am doing this question where it asks if I increase the tension of a two loop standing wave without changing the frequency, what kind of standing wave will I get? I came to the conclusion that it would become a one loop standing wave as f= 2L/(n) as I plugged in 2 for n and I got 1L. I was wondering if my thought process was correct or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,
This belongs in the homework forum -- where you need to contribute a formula that says something about the relationship between tension and frequency. And: your thinking is right, but: just increasing the tension would be enough ? Or would you need a specific tension ?

BvU said:
This belongs in the homework forum
Correct. Please post there and fill the homework template properly.

Thread closed.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude, traveling in opposite directions, interfere with each other. This results in a wave pattern that appears to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave".

2. How do standing waves form?

Standing waves form when two waves, known as the incident wave and the reflected wave, meet and interfere with each other. The incident wave travels in one direction, while the reflected wave travels in the opposite direction. When these waves meet, they create a pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement), resulting in a standing wave.

3. What are the characteristics of standing waves?

Standing waves have several distinct characteristics. They have a fixed frequency and wavelength, and their energy is confined within the boundaries of the medium they are traveling through. They also have a series of nodes and antinodes that remain stationary, while the energy of the wave oscillates between them.

4. How do the loops of a standing wave relate to its wavelength?

The loops of a standing wave correspond to its wavelength. Each loop represents one-half of a wavelength, with the number of loops increasing as the wavelength increases. In other words, the longer the wavelength, the more loops the standing wave will have.

5. What is the significance of the nodes and antinodes in a standing wave?

The nodes and antinodes in a standing wave represent points of no displacement and maximum displacement, respectively. These points are important because they indicate where the wave's energy is concentrated and where it is at a minimum. They also play a role in determining the frequency and wavelength of the standing wave.