Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loose Ions in the air

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to absorb free electrons/ions in the air using a statically charged material, or even a magnetically charged material. I've heard that putting a large antenna up high will create a charge potential but what about ripping energy out of ambient air particles? Is this possible, and if so, are there any materials that could do this naturally?

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

There's an antistatic "gun" that was used to "shoot" at records to eliminate any excess charge buildup. It worked by squeezing a trigger connected to a mechanism that transfered this mechanical energy to a quartz crystal. There is an effect in crystals called the peizo-electric effect which is the response of the crystal to produce a voltage under mechanical stress.

4. Apr 29, 2004 #3
    Hmmmm this piezo-electric effect sounds interesting. You say it works just by applying pressure to a quartz crystal?? If that is the case, why don't they juat take a big crystal and set it under a heavy weight to generate constant power? :confused:

Thanks,
    Jason O

5. Apr 29, 2004 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

The crystal only releases electricity while pressure is changing. It would be like trying to put a heavy weight on top of a bellows, and use the air that comes out of the bellows to power generator. As soon as the weight has squashed the bellows down as far as it is going to, energy ceases to be released.

6. Apr 29, 2004 #5

turin

Homework Helper

What LURCH said. One thing I have come to realize is that, whenever something seems to supply an infinite source of energy, I just don't understand it well enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?