RF Network for 2-Way Communication, Security, 3.5x1.5mi Community

In summary, the conversation is about the need for an RF network that can accommodate two-way communication, provide security, and cover a 3.5 x 1.5 mile community with 1000 endpoints. The main question is whether Xbee or Lora would be a better option and what the final goal of the project is. The end use will play a major role in the design and component choices. The individual pulling data from 1000 controllers with 34 data points each and the data will go back to a collector. The preference is for Xbee because it is full duplex and allows for both monitoring and controlling at the same time. However, Lora is lower power and mainly used for monitoring. The conversation also discusses the
btb4198
I need a RF network that has this :
1) two way communication.
2) Security
3) can work in a 3.5 x 1.5 mile community : with houses, trees, buildings and a park ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_Hill_North,_Victoria).
4) have about 1000 endpoints.
5) low power and low cost

would Xbee be better or would Lora ? and why ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please help me understand. What is your final goal? Sounds somewhat like a part of a local wifi project. The end use is going to play a major part in the design and component choices.

jim mcnamara said:
Please help me understand. What is your final goal? Sounds somewhat like a part of a local wifi project. The end use is going to play a major part in the design and component choices.

I am pulling data from 1000 controllers. Each controller has 34 data points for monitoring . I am going to write back to the controller to start and stop a motor. all the data will go back to a collector . I am planing to only have one collector but I might need more if there is too much data. but really there will only be 34000 data points/ Tags.

Likes jim mcnamara
anyone?

btb4198 said:
3) can work in a 3.5 x 1.5 mile community : with houses, trees, buildings and a park ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_Hill_North,_Victoria).
That's a pretty wide area to try to cover with an RF network. Would you be able to install a cellular modem card in each endpoint/controller?

yes I am

which would be better Lora or Xbee and why?

btb4198 said:
which would be better Lora or Xbee and why?
Can you tell us what you know about each, and what you think the advantages/disadvantages would be?

Lora is half duplex so you can only send data or listen for data that at a time.

Xbee is full duplex so you can do both at the same time.

Lora is lower power than Xbee.
Lora seems to mainly be used for monitoring.
Xbee seems to used for both monitoring and controlling .

Xbee does a mesh networkand Lora does a star neworks

That is the most important things I know about the two but I still do not know with one is best for my application.

I think Xbee just because it is full deluxe and I want to be about to start /stop a motor for a website, so I need to be about to control and monitor at the same time.

I think lorawan class C can do that but then it is no longer lower power.

So I really do not know with one.

It is a city to maybe a mesh network is best to used, because you can use repeaters and go around certain objects, but since Lora is a star network you and cannot...

Ok what do you guys think ?

btb4198 said:
Xbee does a mesh networkand Lora does a star neworks
But can you get the bandwidth you need out of a mesh network? It can be very problematic to get a lot of data through a mesh network.
btb4198 said:
It is a city to maybe a mesh network is best to used, because you can use repeaters and go around certain objects, but since Lora is a star network you and cannot...
So you're saying you will not have line of sight over this 5 square mile service area? That will be problematic for a star RF network as you say.

You didn't say much about my idea of using the cell phone network for your communication. If you put a cell phone modem in each controller node, the rest of the infrastructure is already there... (We do this for some of our RF device networking at the company I work for)

berkeman said:
But can you get the bandwidth you need out of a mesh network? It can be very problematic to get a lot of data through a mesh network.

So you're saying you will not have line of sight over this 5 square mile service area? That will be problematic for a star RF network as you say.

You didn't say much about my idea of using the cell phone network for your communication. If you put a cell phone modem in each controller node, the rest of the infrastructure is already there... (We do this for some of our RF device networking at the company I work for)
So we do that right now, but We want to break away from it because of the cost for each cell modem.
We have over 1000 pumps out there.

berkeman said:

it is a City so no line of sight.
There is a lot hills, trees and building.

Look up the area

does anyone have any questions, that might help you guys help me ?

anyone ?
I really need help with this.
I am new to this subject

btb4198 said:
So we do that right now, but We want to break away from it because of the cost for each cell modem.
We have over 1000 pumps out there.
btb4198 said:
anyone ?
I really need help with this.
I am new to this subject
I don't see a different solution, unless you and your company are willing to invest in an infrastructure equivalent to the cellphone network. It's nice that you are turning to the Internet for free advice, but maybe you and your company should consider spending the money to hire consultants in your local area who are skilled in your local wireless infrastructure laws and protocols, to see what the lowest cost alternative is for you. You may be able to purchase a license for some wireless modality that is available only to license holders, for example. Best of luck.

IBTL...

Likes donpacino

1. What is an RF network?

An RF (radio frequency) network is a wireless communication system that uses radio waves to transmit and receive data between devices. It is commonly used for 2-way communication and can cover a range of up to 3.5 miles by 1.5 miles.

2. How does an RF network provide 2-way communication?

An RF network uses two-way radios or transceivers to send and receive signals between devices. These devices can communicate with each other in real-time, allowing for two-way communication between users.

3. What is the purpose of using an RF network for security?

An RF network can be used for security by providing a reliable and secure means of communication between security personnel and devices such as cameras and sensors. It can also be used to monitor and control access to a community or area.

4. What are the advantages of using an RF network for a 3.5x1.5mi community?

An RF network has several advantages for a community of this size. It can cover a large area, providing communication and security coverage for the entire community. It is also a cost-effective solution as it eliminates the need for laying cables or installing physical infrastructure. Additionally, an RF network is less susceptible to interference and can operate even in adverse weather conditions.

5. How does an RF network ensure the security of data transmitted over the network?

An RF network uses encryption and authentication protocols to ensure the security of data transmitted over the network. This means that the data is encoded and can only be accessed by authorized devices, making it difficult for hackers to intercept or manipulate the data.