1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentx Transformation

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I cannot seem to figure out how to do this problem.

The situation is,
    There are two events occuring a given time apart at the same location as seem by an observe in one frame (S). Another observer (S') sees these two events occuring at a differnent amount of time apart. I am trying to find the difference in posisitons of the two observers.

I know that,
    x' = (x - ut) / sqrt(1 - u^2/c^2) = gamma*(x - ut)
    t' = (t - ux/c^2) / sqrt(1 - u^2/c^2) = gamma*(t - ux/c^2)

But these two equations have too many unknowns for me. All I know are the two times for each observer and the fact that the events occur at the same spot. If I do not know the speed of the S' observer, how can I figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to assume u is known ofcourse, since the answer depends on the speed of S' relative to S.

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I am not given any value for u, only that the S' frame is moving relative the S.
    It is not as if I can just assume a value for u, how can I get around this.

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

it must have something to do with the difference in time the events were seen....of course, since those were to only real numbers given to me (those and the speed of light).

[Only 3 hours left to figure this problem out].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?