Lorentz Arguments for Ether: Critical Analysis of 1895 Paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the ether and its role in explaining the compression of rods in an experiment. Lorentz's explanation of molecular forces being affected by the ether is mentioned, and the lack of evidence for this claim is brought up. However, it is argued that the concept of the ether was deeply ingrained in physics for a long time.
Lincon Ribeiro
TL;DR Summary
Here is an excerpt from Lorentz's paper about relativity, when he had to explain his views about the ether and the bizarre results from Michelson & Morley experiments.
I bought the book "The principle of Relativity" by Einstein et al. and was really surprised by the (low) level of explanation by Lorentz regarding the compression of rods on the experiment carried out by Michelson & Morley. I reproduce part of it below:

Surprising as this hypothesis may appear at first sight, yet we shall have to admit that it is by no means far-fetched, as soon as we assume that molecular forces are also transmitted through the ether, like the electric and magnetic forces of which we are able at the present time to make this assertion definitely. If they are so transmitted, the translation will very probably affect the action between two molecules or atoms in a manner resembling the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. Now, since the form and dimensions of a solid body are ultimately conditioned by the intensity of molecular actions, there cannot fail to be a change of dimensions as well.

Well, he gave absolutely no arguments to back up that "molecular-forces-affected-by-ether" idea. That made me think if, by the time the article came up (1895), any physicist criticized the lack of evidences of his claims. The ether was a bizarre concept, as we all know today, with contradicting properties that could not be measured by any means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lincon Ribeiro said:
he gave absolutely no arguments to back up that "molecular-forces-affected-by-ether" idea

I wouldn't get too hung up on the term "ether". You can take the ether completely out of his argument and it is still a valid argument for why, when viewed from a fixed inertial frame, an object moving relative to that frame should contract in length. John Bell discusses this, IIRC, in a couple of the articles in Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics.

Lincon Ribeiro said:
Well, he gave absolutely no arguments to back up that "molecular-forces-affected-by-ether" idea.

Probably because he thought it too obvious to be worth mentioning. Molecular forces are electromagnetic forces, and the ether served as the medium for the propagation of those forces.

That made me think if, by the time the article came up (1895), any physicist criticized the lack of evidences of his claims.

I don't know. But I've read serious physics books that used the ether to make their points, and were written in the 1920's. It takes a long time for deeply-entrenched ideas to fade into history. In many cases it only happens when the physicists who continue to promote them finally expire.

The OP question has been addressed. Thread closed.

1. What is the Lorentz argument for ether?

The Lorentz argument for ether is a theory proposed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1895 to explain the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment. It suggests that the lack of detectable ether drift in the experiment could be attributed to the contraction of matter in the direction of motion through the ether.

2. How does the Lorentz argument for ether differ from other theories about ether?

The Lorentz argument for ether differs from other theories in that it does not propose the existence of a stationary ether, but rather a dynamic ether that contracts in the direction of motion. This concept was later incorporated into Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What evidence supports the Lorentz argument for ether?

The main evidence supporting the Lorentz argument for ether is the lack of detectable ether drift in the Michelson-Morley experiment. Additionally, the theory was able to explain other experimental results, such as the aberration of starlight and the Fizeau experiment.

4. What are some criticisms of the Lorentz argument for ether?

One major criticism of the Lorentz argument for ether is that it relies on the concept of absolute space and time, which goes against the principles of relativity. It also does not fully explain the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment, as it only accounts for the contraction of matter and not the dilation of time.

5. How has the Lorentz argument for ether influenced modern physics?

The Lorentz argument for ether played a significant role in the development of special relativity and the understanding of the nature of space and time. While it has been largely abandoned in its original form, elements of the theory can still be seen in modern physics, particularly in the concept of Lorentz transformations.