Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Boost of a photon

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    hi there!

Just wondering... if i have a photon moving in the z direction 4 momentum given by (0,0,1,1)

and I lorentz boost it in the z direction... would I get the same original 4 momentum (0,0,1,1) cuz i thought that boosting something at the speed of light means that it remains at the speed of light right?

in the case of the x direction (1,0,0,1) the lorentz boost in the x direction gives (cosh, -sinh, 0,1)... which isn't the original 4 momentum

could somebody kindly explain what exactly i'm getting wrong here?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The magnitude (Minkowski norm) of the photon's 4 momentum is invariant, but the components of the 4 momentum do change. When you boost it in the z direction you will get a 4 momentum of the form (0,0,E/c,E/c) where E/c is not in general equal to 1 in all frames.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3

jtbell

The energy and momentum are not invariant between reference frames. The speed of the photon is invariant, nevertheless.

In general, v/c = pc/E. For a photon in the original reference frame, E = pc so v/c = 1. In the new reference frame, after the transformation, you should be able to show that E' = p'c so v'/c = 1 also.

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4
    ok... so am i getting this right? ... since E/c can change then lorentz boosting of a photon in the direction of its travel changes its energy therefore changing its frequency/colour only? the velocity remains at c

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5

Dale

Correct.

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6

jtbell

Note that the change in frequency and wavelength between two reference frames is just the longitudinal relativistic Doppler shift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook