What Happens to a Photon's 4 Momentum After a Lorentz Boost?

In summary: This is different from the transverse Doppler shift, which is the change in frequency and wavelength due to the relative motion of the two frames along a direction perpendicular to the direction of the photon's travel. In summary, the 4 momentum of a photon remains invariant under a Lorentz boost, but the components of the 4 momentum do change. The energy and momentum are not invariant between reference frames, and the speed of the photon remains at c. The change in frequency and wavelength between two reference frames is due to the longitudinal relativistic Doppler shift, while the transverse Doppler shift is caused by the relative motion of the two frames perpendicular to the photon's direction of travel.
curiouserand.
hi there!

Just wondering... if i have a photon moving in the z direction 4 momentum given by (0,0,1,1)

and I lorentz boost it in the z direction... would I get the same original 4 momentum (0,0,1,1) because i thought that boosting something at the speed of light means that it remains at the speed of light right?

in the case of the x direction (1,0,0,1) the lorentz boost in the x direction gives (cosh, -sinh, 0,1)... which isn't the original 4 momentum

could somebody kindly explain what exactly I'm getting wrong here?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude (Minkowski norm) of the photon's 4 momentum is invariant, but the components of the 4 momentum do change. When you boost it in the z direction you will get a 4 momentum of the form (0,0,E/c,E/c) where E/c is not in general equal to 1 in all frames.

The energy and momentum are not invariant between reference frames. The speed of the photon is invariant, nevertheless.

In general, v/c = pc/E. For a photon in the original reference frame, E = pc so v/c = 1. In the new reference frame, after the transformation, you should be able to show that E' = p'c so v'/c = 1 also.

ok... so am i getting this right? ... since E/c can change then lorentz boosting of a photon in the direction of its travel changes its energy therefore changing its frequency/colour only? the velocity remains at c

Note that the change in frequency and wavelength between two reference frames is just the longitudinal relativistic Doppler shift.

1. What is a Lorentz Boost of a photon?

The Lorentz Boost of a photon refers to the change in the characteristics of a photon, such as its energy and frequency, when observed from different frames of reference that are moving at high speeds relative to each other.

2. How does a Lorentz Boost affect the speed of a photon?

A Lorentz Boost does not affect the speed of a photon, as the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference. However, the observed frequency and energy of the photon may change due to the relativistic effects of the Lorentz Boost.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz Boost for the theory of relativity?

The Lorentz Boost is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity, as it explains how the laws of physics remain unchanged in different frames of reference. It also helps to reconcile the discrepancies between classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

4. Can a photon undergo a Lorentz Boost while traveling through a vacuum?

Yes, a photon can undergo a Lorentz Boost even when traveling through a vacuum, as long as it is observed from a different frame of reference that is moving at a high speed relative to the original frame.

5. How is the Lorentz Boost of a photon calculated?

The Lorentz Boost of a photon can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the relative velocities of the observer and the photon, as well as the speed of light. These equations are a crucial part of Einstein's theory of relativity.