Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere: Solving the Problem

• Thread starter Adam Lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary: When you say “the density at any area is determined by the number of dots”, do you mean like a digital image with dots representing intensities?Thanks!When you say “the density at any area is determined by the number of dots”, do you mean like a digital image with dots representing intensities?
Adam Lewis
Hello,

I have a probability density which in its rest frame is evenly painted upon a 2-sphere. I need to figure out how that density transforms under a Lorentz boost.

Heuristically, this will consist of boosting the 2-sphere to obtain an ellipsoid of some sort, then doing a parallel projection along the boost axis back onto the sphere.

At least the first part of this, I think, is a fairly standard problem since it is similar to that of calculating the beaming of synchrotron radiation. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a source that works through it so I don't have to do the whole thing from scratch.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Lewis said:
Hello,

I have a probability density which in its rest frame is evenly painted upon a 2-sphere. I need to figure out how that density transforms under a Lorentz boost.

Heuristically, this will consist of boosting the 2-sphere to obtain an ellipsoid of some sort, then doing a parallel projection along the boost axis back onto the sphere.

At least the first part of this, I think, is a fairly standard problem since it is similar to that of calculating the beaming of synchrotron radiation. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a source that works through it so I don't have to do the whole thing from scratch.

Thanks!

I'd like to help. I have a program that will transform any 3d object between any reference frames. But I'm not sure what you are really asking. What's a 2-sphere?

Hi,

I mean, a spherical shell (the surface of a ball). I need e.g. parametric equations or something for the resulting surface.

-Adam

Adam Lewis said:
Hi,

I mean, a spherical shell (the surface of a ball). I need e.g. parametric equations or something for the resulting surface.

-Adam

Spherical shell. Ok. I’m trying to think if my program will give you what you want, so please be patient with this next question. When you say you have “a probability density which in its rest frame is evenly painted upon” the shell,
Do you mean you have some evenly spaced set of points on the shell with associated density magnitude like;
P1 = (x1, y1, z1, density_1)
P2 = (x2, y2, z2, density_2)
P3 = (x3, y3, z3, density_3) etc.

Or do you have a set of “dots” like;
P1 = (x1, y1, z1)
P2 = (x2, y2, z2)
P3 = (x3, y3, z3) etc.
And the density at any area is determined by the number of dots?

Or do you mean something different?

Last edited:

1. What is the Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere?

The Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the effects of moving objects in space and time. It involves transforming coordinates and velocities between two reference frames.

2. What is the problem that the Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere solves?

The Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere helps solve the problem of how to accurately describe the movement and interactions of objects in a high-speed or relativistic scenario, where traditional Newtonian mechanics are no longer applicable.

3. How does the Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere work?

The Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere involves using mathematical equations and transformations, specifically the Lorentz transformation, to convert coordinates and velocities between two reference frames. This allows for a more accurate description of movement and interactions in a relativistic scenario.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere?

The Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere is used in many areas of physics, including particle accelerators, astrophysics, and space travel. It is also used in the development of GPS systems and in the study of high-speed collisions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere?

The Lorentz Boosted 2-Sphere is a mathematical model and, like all models, it has limitations. It is most accurate at high speeds and in flat, empty space. It may not accurately describe movement and interactions in highly curved or dense environments, such as near a black hole.