Why does Lorentz contraction occur?

In summary, Lorentz contraction happens when two observers measure different things due to their relative velocity.
Taturana
My question is: why does Lorentz contraction happens?

I have a understanding of this but I don't know if it's correct, so I'll tell what I understand, if I'm wrong please correct me...

Suppose we have two observers A and B. If I say B is moving with respect to A then time is slower to B than to A. Also, if A measures B's dimension, he'll get a smaller measure than if B would do. Right?

So, we have that v = ds/dt, then if we know that B's dt is smaller than A's dt, B's ds should be smaller too so they agree with respect to the velocity. Is that right?

Sorry for my very bad english...

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how to address your way of doing the calculations, however they will not agree with respect to velocity. This is because their velocity has a relative difference.

If B has a coin and let's this coin float next to him/her, the coin will be stationary for B, while A will see the coin with a velocity.

Another way of looking at it is [tex] x_A = x_B - vt_A [/tex] where x is position.

If [tex]x_B[/tex] is stationary then [tex]\frac{d}{dt}x_A = -v[/tex]note: [tex] t_B = \frac{t_A}{1 - (v/c)^2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Taturana said:
Suppose we have two observers A and B. If I say B is moving with respect to A then time is slower to B than to A. Also, if A measures B's dimension, he'll get a smaller measure than if B would do. Right?

It would seem to me that the abstract needs another factor for B to see something different than A. Like their relative position in a dynamic space-time. Otherwise they would each see the same thing and wouldn't even notice the compression without a change in velocity.

As to your first question, it depends on the coordinate system used. If you use a coordinate system that has a fixed point of reference relative to the universe within existence, you would not need a flexible system. (Something that doesn't exist at the moment.) If you can find the center of the universe or an equivalent you should have said fixed point of reference. You could make it up, say the Earth is the center, but then you would have to continually change factors to make up for planetary, galactic, and intergalactic contingencies both known and unknown. Thus the existence of Lorentz contraction issues and the like.

Don't take my word for it, go look for yourself.

1. What is Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon described by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. It states that an object's length will appear shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer, as measured in the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does Lorentz contraction affect our perception of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected. As an object's velocity increases, its length decreases and time slows down. This means that an observer would perceive time passing slower for a moving object compared to a stationary one.

3. Is Lorentz contraction observable in everyday life?

No, Lorentz contraction is not noticeable in everyday life as it only becomes significant at speeds close to the speed of light. The effects of Lorentz contraction are only noticeable in extreme cases, such as with objects moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

4. What is the formula for calculating Lorentz contraction?

The formula for Lorentz contraction is L = L₀/γ, where L is the observed length, L₀ is the object's rest length, and γ is the Lorentz factor, calculated using the object's velocity and the speed of light.

5. How does Lorentz contraction relate to the concept of time dilation?

Lorentz contraction is closely related to time dilation, as both phenomena are a result of the interconnection between time and space. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for a moving object, while Lorentz contraction describes the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion. Both effects are consequences of Einstein's theory of relativity.