1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz coordinate transformation

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Frame S' has an x component of velocity u relative to the frame S and at t=t'=0 the two frames coincide. A light pulse with a spherical wave front at the origin of S' at t'=0. Its distance x' from the origin after a time t' is given by x'^2=(c^2)(t'^2). Transform this to an equation in x and t, showing that the result is x^2=(c^2)(t^2).

2. Relevant equations

I think the relevant equations are:

x'=(gamma)(x-ut) and
    t' = (gamma)(t-[ux/c^2])

3. The attempt at a solution

plugged into the equation x'^2=(c^2)(t'^2) and reduced somewhat....

(x^2)-(2xut)+((ut)^2) = ((c^2)(t^2))-2tux+((c^2)((ux/c^2)^2)

I think my algebra is crud somewhere, but the farthest I can seem to get this down to is....

(x^2)(1-(u^2)) = (t^2)((c^2)-(u^2))

Thank you for looking at my problem!! I hope I put enough clear information down, this is my first time here, please let me know if I need to clear anything up, and thanks again!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You forgot to square the gamma factor but it does not affect the rest of your calculation because this factor cancels out anyway.
    You forgot a factor of 1/c^2 on the left side (it should read [tex] x^2 (1 - \frac{u^2}{c^2} [/tex]). This is because you had [tex] c^2 \times (\frac{ux}{c^2})^2 = \frac{u^2 x^2}{c^2} [/tex]. With this correction, everything works out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?