Finding Lorentz Factor of a Point Particle in Curved Spacetime

In summary: The author writes about the equivalence of energy and momentum in curved spacetime in eq(37), and then goes on to state that the energy of a wave function is equivalent to the relativistic Lorentz invariant energy. He notes that p is nonzero at low energies, but I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.
vaibhavtewari
Hello,
Is there a way to find the lorentz factor of a point particle in a curved spacetime in terms of metric elements(diagonal)

More specifically I was trying to write energy of a point particle in a curved space.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't quite understand you, but I'll still answer :D

As I understand, you want to find the Lorentz factor of a point particle which moves not only on the x-apsis? If is that the question, you need to divide the path like when you do it with vectors, one on the x and other on the y. While I'm writhing this I figure that your question is not this, but I'll still post it... Just in case :D

can you provide a prescription to finally get the answer..

All I am trying to evaluate is to write energy of a point particle in a curved space-time in terms of metric element and rest mass

Your question is not stated clearly but ...

There is no global quantity that represents energy in curved spacetime. Kinetic energy is obviously frame dependent even in SR. However, every particle must be following some worldline, with a local frame defined at every point along it. The rest mass of the particle is transported unchanged along any worldline ( it is a scalar ) which would lead one to conclude the only meaningful energy is mc2.

If you have something else in mind try rephrasing the question.

vaibhavtewari said:
I actually was reading this paper

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/0409/0409064v3.pdf

and on eq(37) author comfortably writes Energy in terms of metric element. I don't though found it very convincing. I would appreciate your thoughts on this

It looks plausible because the factor [itex]\sqrt{g_{tt}}[/itex] ( changing notation slightly) is generally taken to be the factor by which frequency changes between static observers at infinity and static observers in the field. So in QM where energy depends on [itex]d\psi/dt[/itex] it reflects the change in frequency, and so the energy of a wave function. The only thing that bothers me slightly is, he's written the relativistic Lorentz invariant energy on the right including the p-term. If p is nonzero there is also a doppler shift to consider. But at low energies it would be a close approximation.

I've saved a copy of the paper, it looks well worth a read.

Last edited:

1. How is Lorentz factor defined in curved spacetime?

The Lorentz factor is defined as the ratio of the proper time of a moving object to the coordinate time measured by an observer. In curved spacetime, this factor takes into account the effects of gravity on the motion of the object.

2. What is the equation for calculating the Lorentz factor in curved spacetime?

The equation for calculating the Lorentz factor in curved spacetime is given by γ = (1 - v2/c2)-1/2, where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

3. How does the Lorentz factor change in different regions of curved spacetime?

The Lorentz factor can vary in different regions of curved spacetime depending on the curvature of the spacetime and the strength of the gravitational field. In areas of high curvature or strong gravitational fields, the Lorentz factor can be significantly different from that in flat spacetime.

4. Can the Lorentz factor be greater than 1 in curved spacetime?

Yes, the Lorentz factor can be greater than 1 in curved spacetime. This occurs when an object is moving at relativistic speeds in a strong gravitational field, where the effects of gravity on the object’s motion cannot be ignored.

5. How is the Lorentz factor used in understanding the behavior of particles in curved spacetime?

The Lorentz factor is an important factor in understanding the behavior of particles in curved spacetime. It helps us to calculate the time dilation and length contraction of an object moving in a curved spacetime, and also plays a crucial role in the equations of motion for particles in curved spacetime.