1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Foce,conservative?

1. Jan 7, 2007 #1
    Lorentz force is F=q(E+v cross ...................................................................(1)
    We seem to be interested only in B[=A(q/r^2)(v' cross ].What about E?Is it an electrostatic field?I suppose not.If not,then should be time dependent and del cross E=-(d/dt)B
    Taking line integral of (1),W=integral(a to F.dr
    =integral(a to E.dr + 0
    Does this mean F(mag) is conservative?
    if a and b are the same,Will W=0?
    in that case will Lorentz force be conservative?
    however, i saw in Griffiths's Quantum Mechanics that magnetic forces cannot be expressed like (-dV/dx) like other conservative forces.
    what is the physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2
    please dont mind the b's are missing.

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Lorentz force

[tex] \vec{F}=q\vec{E}+q\vec{v}\times\vec{B} [/tex] (1)

generalizes the magnetostatics and the electrostatics forces, with the latter being the Coulomb force. If the fields depend on time, which means the electrostatic and magnetostatic regimes are not valid anymore, then (1) is not conservative. It doesn't derive from any potential. But in the electrostatics, it's well known that the Coulomb force is conservative, since it derives from the Coulomb potential.

So the main idea is "time-dependence of fields".

Daniel.

5. Jan 8, 2007 #4
    Thank you,daniel.I got your point.
    But still unclear is that q(v cross B) part.Anyway F(mag)=q(v cross B) is zero even if the field is time dependent.So,can it be conservative?Actually,I am not sure that curl of B(t)=0 in that case.
    what about the QM book confusion?Why magnetic forces cannot be expressed as F=-dV/dx like other conservative forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?