Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz force and cosmic rays

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    I am trying to calculate the strength of the magnetic field ( in teslas ) that would be needed to deflect cosmic rays going about 99% the speed of light.

using the lorents force

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

I replaced force with mass times acceleration

I canceled the cross product because for this case pretend that the cosmic ray hits the magnetic field perpendicularly(eliminating the cross product)

the variable E is also canceled because I am not applying an electric force

so I end up with B= (mass times accleration) divided by (the charge in coloumbs times the velocity (99% the speed of light))

but correct me if I am wrong. I have the accleration of cosmic rays to be 10,000 m/s squared until it reaches its maximum speed

but because I am dividing by the spped of light(almost)

I end up with a (insert a huge decimal number here) Teslas

which must be incorrect because it would take many teslas to deflect cosmioc rays

PLEASE CORRECT ME

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
    By how much are you trying to deflect them?
    Because cosmic rays can travel a LONG way in your average magnetic field without being significantly reflected. So if you are trying to change their direction a large amount in a short distance, then yes you should be expecting a very large magnetic field to be required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?