Does the Lorentz Force Affect Both the Wire and Loop in a Current Loop Setup?

In summary, current in a wire and a loop both experience Lorentz forces due to the magnetic field created by the other. The strength of the force is proportional to the current and the product of both currents affects the force. In the case of a pancake coil sitting atop a magnet, the Lorentz force pushes the current carriers towards the boundary of the conductor, causing charge buildup. Additionally, in regards to current flow through a doped semiconductor, it behaves similarly to a conductor but with lower mobility of charge carriers. If a semiconductor is dragged through a magnetic field, it will not induce currents like a conductor would.
Samson4
A current loop has a wire starting at its center. The wire terminates at the inside of the loop. The loop and wire have 150 and 15 ohms of resistance respectively. Both have 4 volts of potential across them.

Looking at this I understand the the wire will experience a lorentz force because the current inside it travels 90 degrees to the magnetic flux of the loop. But, what about the loop. Does the electrons in it not experience a lorentz force? Its not in the magnetic field of the wire. It must be equal and opposite right?

There is more current in the wire than the loop. Does this effect the forces each experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons in the loop do indeed feel a Lorentz force from the magnetic field caused by the wire. From the geometry described the total force on the loop will be non-zero and in a direction along the length of the straight wire section. (wrt the straight wire section perpendicular components from left and right cancel. Longitudinal components from the nearer half-circle are a bit stronger than from the other half)

Field strengths -- and thereby forces -- are proportional to the currents, so: yes. And: the force, experienced by a current in a field is also proportional to the current. So yes: the product of both currents appears in each of the forces (loop on section, as well as section on loop).

Likes Samson4
How would removing the wire and replacing it with a disc with radial currents from its center to its edge?

A conducting disk ? The current carriers would feel a kind of Coriolis force and be free to move in that direction.

Likes Samson4
I just don't see what I'm missing in my understanding of the lorentz force and hall effect. For example; a pancake coil sitting atop a magnet. When current flows, the lorentz force should be into or out of the center of the coil. This is also the same direction of the current. So why doesn't current flow increase?

Because it can't go there. ##\vec v\times \vec B## points towards a boundary of the conductor. All that happens is the current carriers are pushed in or out a little bit. Charge buildup quickly compensates.

Samson4 said:
This is also the same direction of the current
No. ##\vec v\times \vec B \perp \vec v##

Likes Samson4
BvU said:
Because it can't go there. ##\vec v\times \vec B## points towards a boundary of the conductor. All that happens is the current carriers are pushed in or out a little bit. Charge buildup quickly compensates.

No. ##\vec v\times \vec B \perp \vec v##

If you don't mind, I have one more question before I disappear into my studies. In regards to the current flow through a doped semiconductor. Does it behave more similar to the current flow though a vacuum than that of a conductor? Velocity doesn't seem to matter when discussing conductors. Calculations use amperage and forces are on the conductor as a whole.

Samson4 said:
Velocity doesn't seem to matter when discussing conductors. Calculations use amperage and forces are on the conductor as a whole
Think again. I is ##dq\over dt## and the amount of charge passing through a cross section with area A is ##\rho v A##.

Semiconductors are like conductors, only the mobility of the charge carriers is a lot less.

Likes Samson4
BvU said:
Think again. I is ##dq\over dt## and the amount of charge passing through a cross section with area A is ##\rho v A##.

Semiconductors are like conductors, only the mobility of the charge carriers is a lot less.
If I drag a semiconductor through a magnetic field, it won't induce currents like a conductor would, right?

What is the Lorentz Force on a Conductor?

The Lorentz Force on a Conductor is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. It is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the charge of the particle.

What factors affect the magnitude of the Lorentz Force?

The magnitude of the Lorentz Force is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and the velocity of the particle. A stronger magnetic field, higher charge, or faster velocity will result in a larger Lorentz Force.

How is the direction of the Lorentz Force determined?

The direction of the Lorentz Force is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the magnetic field and the fingers point in the direction of the particle's velocity, the palm will face in the direction of the Lorentz Force.

What are the applications of the Lorentz Force on a Conductor?

The Lorentz Force on a Conductor has various applications, including electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in many scientific experiments and studies to understand the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

How does the Lorentz Force on a Conductor relate to Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

The Lorentz Force is closely related to Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law, which describe the generation of electric currents in conductors when they move through a magnetic field. These laws explain the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction, which is a crucial concept in understanding the Lorentz Force on a Conductor.