How is Velocity Calculated in Lorentz Force Spectrometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a particle of mass m and charge q as it passes through an electric field of potential Vd. It is mentioned that the velocity should be positive if q is positive and negative if q is negative. The context of the question is for personal understanding and the topic is mass spectrometry. The reference used so far is a document on Lorentz force. The goal is to understand how the time taken for ions to reach the detector can be transformed into mass/charge values.
Big-Daddy
If a particle of mass m and charge q (where q can be negative or positive, and the velocity should be positive if q is positive and negative if q is negative) is passed through an electric field of potential Vd, what is the velocity v of the particle?

Or possibly this should be a vector problem? Maybe I need to specify some angles? If you'd take me through what's going on here I'd be grateful, and if there are some angles of incidence I should have given but didn't then please give them algebraic letters anyway and proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Big-Daddy said:
If a particle of mass m and charge q (where q can be negative or positive, and the velocity should be positive if q is positive and negative if q is negative) is passed through an electric field of potential Vd, what is the velocity v of the particle?

Or possibly this should be a vector problem? Maybe I need to specify some angles? If you'd take me through what's going on here I'd be grateful, and if there are some angles of incidence I should have given but didn't then please give them algebraic letters anyway and proceed.

What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork? What references are you using so far to understand the Lorentz force?

No I'm asking this question for my own understanding. The topic is mass spectrometry and my reference so far is this document:

http://www.whoi.edu/cms/files/Lecture6_2011_96624.pdf

Everything makes sense except for the velocity as a function of mass, V and charge expression. And in general, the problem I see with the whole thing is that it would appear to treat negatively charged particles the same way as positively charged particles (either that, or say that they have the same velocity).

Last edited by a moderator:
My final goal is to figure out how, in a mass spectrometer, we can transform the time taken for each ion to reach the detector, into the mass/charge value for that ion.

Lorentz force spectrometry is a technique used to analyze the properties of charged particles, such as their mass and charge, by measuring the forces acting on them in an electric and magnetic field. In this scenario, a particle with mass m and charge q is passing through an electric field of potential Vd.

To determine the velocity v of the particle, we can use the Lorentz force equation, which states that the force (F) acting on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field is equal to the product of its charge (q) and the electric field (E) plus the cross product of its charge and velocity (v) with the magnetic field (B).

Mathematically, this can be written as F = q(E + v x B). Since we are only considering an electric field in this scenario, the equation simplifies to F = qE. The force acting on the particle will cause it to accelerate, and the velocity of the particle can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where m is the mass of the particle and a is its acceleration.

Therefore, the velocity v of the particle can be calculated as v = (qE)/m. The direction of the velocity will depend on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle. If q is positive, the velocity will be in the same direction as the electric field, and if q is negative, the velocity will be in the opposite direction.

In order to fully understand the motion of the particle, it is important to also consider the magnetic field and the angle of incidence. The angle of incidence, denoted by theta (θ), is the angle between the velocity vector and the electric field vector. This angle will affect the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the particle.

In conclusion, the velocity v of a charged particle passing through an electric field of potential Vd can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation, taking into consideration the particle's mass, charge, and the direction of the electric field. The angle of incidence can also play a role in determining the particle's velocity.

What is Lorentz force spectrometry?

Lorentz force spectrometry is a characterization technique used to study the properties of charged particles in a magnetic field. It measures the deflection of charged particles in a magnetic field, which can provide information about their mass, charge, and velocity.

How does Lorentz force spectrometry work?

In Lorentz force spectrometry, charged particles are first accelerated to high energies and then directed into a magnetic field. The magnetic field causes the particles to deflect, and the amount of deflection is measured by detectors. By analyzing the deflection, the properties of the particles can be determined.

What are the applications of Lorentz force spectrometry?

Lorentz force spectrometry has a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, surface chemistry, and biochemistry. It is commonly used for studying the properties of nanoparticles, proteins, and other small particles that are difficult to analyze with other techniques.

What are the advantages of Lorentz force spectrometry?

Lorentz force spectrometry has several advantages over other characterization techniques. It is non-destructive, meaning that the particles being studied are not damaged during the measurement. It is also highly sensitive, allowing for the detection of very small particles. Additionally, it can provide information about the size, charge, and mass of particles simultaneously.

What are the limitations of Lorentz force spectrometry?

One of the main limitations of Lorentz force spectrometry is that it is only applicable to charged particles. It also requires high-energy particles, which can be challenging to produce and control. Additionally, the interpretation of the results can be complex, and specialized equipment and expertise are needed to perform the technique.