1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Force

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    I have a constant magnetic field pointing in the direction of the z axis and I'm supposed to find a formula for the way an electron with arbitrary starting position and velocity would travel in this field.

The formula in this case would be

F(x, x', t) = q(v × B(x, t))

and I'm stuck at the point where I have to split this formula into the three equations for motion. Would I just use

F(x, x', t) = q(x' × B(x, t))

and so on or am I missing something? And how would I proceed afterwards?

Then there's also a similar problem, but with an electrical field pointing in the direction of the y axis. Which formula would I use here? The only one I can think of is F = q*E, but don't I need a formula that contains information about the particle involved?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, there is no x and t dependance on B; the question says that it is constant in the z direction. Then you have to split that vector equation of yours into 3 scalar equations: one for each components. I'll do one for you since this seems to be confusing to you:

[tex]\vec{F}=q(\vec{v}\times B\hat{z})[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow F_x\hat{x}+F_y\hat{y}+F_z\hat{z}=qB(v_x\hat{z}-v_y\hat{x})[/tex]

Therefor, the scalar equation corresponding to the x-component is

But since v_y=dy/dt and by Newton's second law, F_x=md²x/dt², that equation is equivalent to

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?