1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz force

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] lorentz force

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say you a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of a current. If you consider the current as electrons moving forward then the Lorentz force on the electrons points up (say). But if you consider the current is a lot of positive charge carriers moving backward, then the Lorentz force on the positive charges points up also because the sign of the cross-product and the sign of the charge changes. That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME because how can the positive charge carriers and the electrons both move up?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

because they are moving in different directions.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    but the current is moving in the same direction in both cases

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then that's a good thing. It's telling you the magnetic force exerted on the wire just depends on the current, not on the sign of the charge carriers. I don't see why that would bother you. Don't we already know that?

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    What bothers me is that for a given current, the sign of the charge carriers determine the sign of the hall voltage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hall-effect.png

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. As you've observed if the charge carriers are negative, they accumulate on the 'up' side of the conductor. If they are positive they also accumulate on the 'up' side. That's two different signs of potential across the conductor.

8. Mar 28, 2008 #7

So, I guess it was just naive to think that the sign of the transverse electric field would depend only on the current not on what is actually carrying the charge. Maybe that is how they discovered that electrons were the ones in motion...

9. Mar 28, 2008 #8

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?