Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorent'z gauge condition

1. Aug 11, 2013 #1
    Can someone explained in simple language what is Lorent'z gauge or Lorent'z gauge condition, and can you give me example from practice or real life, can it maybe "carry" 2 different frequency at once let say.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2013 #2
    You've looked at this already? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_gauge_condition

Just like energy has an arbitrary zero point, the electromagnetic potential also has an arbitrary zero. (meaning, you can add some constant to the energy at every point and not change a thing.) But the electromagnetic potential has more wiggle room in its arbitrary factor, such that you can add various functions to the potential and not change the physics at all. The Lorenz gauge proscribes one way to choose the values of these arbitrary functions.

"carry" 2 different frequency? That makes no sense whatsoever.

4. Aug 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks Khashishi

Sorry I saw on US patents one invention who use lorent'z gauge condition, and in description it says that transmitter operate at high frequency and sub carrier at lower, I can research again and sand you a link.

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4
    no need for that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook