Lorentz generators

• Thread starter sshaep
  • Start date
I know the representations of Lorentz generators M[tex]\mu\nu[/tex] as 4X4 matrices.

This matrices satisfy the commutation relation(Lie algebra of O(3,1))

However I think these 4X4 matrix representations are not unique.

Is there any other representations satisfying the commutation relation? 2X2 matrix or

another?

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, there are infinitely many representations of the Lorentz algebra. One trivial example is to form a set of 8x8 matrices by taking the Kronecker product of M with the 2x2 identity.

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there any other representations satisfying the commutation relation? 2X2 matrix or another?
Because [itex]SL \left(2 , \mathbb{C} \right)[/itex] is the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz group, they have isomorphic Lie algebras.

Because [itex]SL \left(2 , \mathbb{C} \right)[/itex] is the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz group, they have isomorphic Lie algebras.
This means can I get the 2x2 representation of M[tex]\mu\nu[/tex] from SL(2,C)?

But how? What I know is [tex]\sigma_{\mu}A^{\mu} _{\phantom{\mu}\nu}}[/tex]=[tex]L\sigma_{\nu}L^{\dagger}[/tex]

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Take

[tex]
M^{0i} = \frac{i}{2} \sigma^{i}, \ \ M^{ij} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{ijk}\sigma^{k}
[/tex]

Also, if you define

[tex]\omega_{i0} = 2 Re(\alpha_{i}), \ \ \omega_{ij} = 2 \epsilon^{ijk} Im(\alpha_{k})[/tex]

then

[tex]
1 + \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu} = \left( \begin {array}{rr} (1 + \alpha_{3}) & (\alpha_{1} - i \alpha_{2}) \\ (\alpha_{1} + i \alpha_{2}) & (1 - \alpha_{3}) \end {array} \right)
[/tex]

represents elements of SL(2,C) infinitesimally close to the identity element.

regards

sam