Lorentz Invariants and Field Strength Tensor Fuv

• Thread starter jc09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lorentz
In summary: No, the expression you wrote doesn't have any free indices. You need to form contractions that have no free indices. For example, \epsilon_{\mu\nu ab} \epsilon^{\mu\nu ab} is a Lorentz invariant, but it's not one of the ones you're looking for.
jc09

Homework Statement

The Field strength tensor Fuv encodes the electric and magnetic fields via:
Ei=-cF0i, Bi=-1/2 eijkFjk, i=1,2,3 Show that E^2-c^2B^2 and cE.B are invariant under lorentze transformations, by writing them explicitly as invariant contractions using the tensors Fuv and euvab

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What does write the explicitly as invariant contractions mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
jc09 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What does write the explicitly as invariant contractions mean?

A Lorentz invariant quantity can't have any free index. A quantity like [tex]A_{\mu\nu\rho}v^\mu}B^{\nu\rho}[/tex] would be invariant, but [tex]A_{\mu\nu\rho}B^{\nu\rho}[/tex] would not.

ok so for the first one E^2-c^2B^2 how would I start the problem. I know the equation for E and B are given in terms of the metric tensor so I would write them out but what would be the next step

Well what sort of contractions can you form from [tex]F^{\mu\nu}[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu ab}[/tex]? Note that the quantities you're supposed to obtain are quadratic in the fields.

I know I can contract FuvUb=Va but not sure how to proceed at all

jc09 said:
I know I can contract FuvUb=Va but not sure how to proceed at all

The expression you've written has free indices [tex]\mu, \nu[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] on the LHS and an index [tex]a[/tex] on the RHS, so it is incorrect. Also U and V are undefined and have nothing to do with the question. You do not need any other tensors other than [tex]F^{\mu\nu}[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu ab} [/tex]. Try to form contractions that have no free indices. For example, [tex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu ab} \epsilon^{\mu\nu ab} [/tex] is a Lorentz invariant, but it's not one of the ones you're looking for.

so does euvxy=euvexy make more sense? are these correct? I know these are still not what I used in the question but is the idea right here. Then FuvFuv

jc09 said:
so does euvxy=euvexy make more sense? are these correct? I know these are still not what I used in the question but is the idea right here. Then FuvFuv

sorry that isn't right I think maybe this is euveuvexyexy

[tex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu a b}[/tex] is the Levi-Civita symbol, you might want to brush up on what it means here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol You can't write [tex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu a b} =\epsilon_{\mu\nu} \epsilon_{ a b} [/tex] for any definition of [tex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu}[/tex], the RHS does not have all of the symmetries that the LHS does.

I wrote the expression with 2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex]'s to illustrate a Lorentz-invariant combination, don't get hung up on trying to rewrite that. You mentioned [tex]F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}[/tex]. Why don't you try writing that in terms of E and B?

hi so if I write FuvFuv in terms of E and B I get FuvFuv=FolFol+FijFij=cE.B is this correct?

Then to get the other one I can write 1/2euvxyFuvFxy in terms of E and B

jc09 said:
hi so if I write FuvFuv in terms of E and B I get FuvFuv=FolFol+FijFij=cE.B is this correct?

No, that's not right. Remember that Ei=-cF0i, Bi=-1/2 eijkFjk, i=1,2,3.

Then to get the other one I can write 1/2euvxyFuvFxy in terms of E and B

That's one of the invariants that you need. You should see what expression that gives in terms of E and B.

fzero said:
No, that's not right. Remember that Ei=-cF0i, Bi=-1/2 eijkFjk, i=1,2,3.

That's one of the invariants that you need. You should see what expression that gives in terms of E and B.

So for the first bit if I write FuvFuv=F0iF0i+FjkFjk is that better. sorry I'm having quite a lot of trouble with these

jc09 said:
So for the first bit if I write FuvFuv=F0iF0i+FjkFjk is that better. sorry I'm having quite a lot of trouble with these

That part was fine, the part that was wrong was what you wrote for the E and B expression. You should use the relationships between E, B and the components of Fuv to explicitly compute that, don't just try to guess.

so for F0iF0i does that equal -2/c E.B then to finish I add on the second part of it?

ah wait sorry I see the error of my ways I had written down the second matrix wrong so I had B's where there were meant to be E's etc. Think I have the first one now.

What are Lorentz invariants?

Lorentz invariants are quantities that remain unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which are mathematical transformations that preserve the fundamental laws of physics. They play a crucial role in special relativity, as they allow us to compare measurements made in different reference frames.

What is the field strength tensor Fuv?

The field strength tensor Fuv is a mathematical object used in the theory of electromagnetism to describe the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at a given point in space. It is composed of four components, Fuv, where u and v represent the space-time coordinates.

How is the field strength tensor related to electromagnetic fields?

The field strength tensor is directly related to the electric and magnetic fields through Maxwell's equations. It allows us to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at any point in space, given the charge and current distributions.

What is the significance of Lorentz invariants in the theory of relativity?

Lorentz invariants are essential in the theory of relativity because they allow us to formulate physical laws that are valid in all inertial reference frames. They also help us understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

How are Lorentz invariants used in particle physics?

In particle physics, Lorentz invariants are used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. They are also crucial in the development of theories like quantum electrodynamics and the Standard Model, which explain the fundamental forces of nature.