1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Law

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron has a velocity of 1.2 * 10^4 m/s ( in the positive x direction ), and an acceleration of 2 * 10 ^ 12 m/s^2 ( in the positive z direction ) in a uniform electric and magnetic field. If the electric field has a magnitude of 20 N/C ( in the positive z direction), what can you determind about the magnetic field in the region? what can you not determine?

2. Relevant equations

F = qE + qv x B

3. The attempt at a solution

I need the force quantity to figure out the problem, but am lost besides this. Can someone offer a little help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You are given the acceleration and the mass of an electron is something you can easily look up.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Ok I was thinking I was going to be using Newton's second law, but wan't sure. I have the answers to the problem and for the x- vector it says it can be any negative value, can anyone explain why this is?

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well you do need to use Newton's 2nd law since F = ma to use the left hand side of your equation. As far as the x-direction of the magnetic field is concerned, what happens when you cross a velocity, that is in the x-direction, with a field in the x-direction? Matter of fact, what happens when you cross any 2 parallel directions together?

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    It would be zero not any negative value correct?

Thanks for all of the help.

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, any x-component, negative or positive, crossed into the velocity would give 0 here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook