Lorentz Symmetry at Black Hole Event Horizon

In summary, the area in which Lorentz symmetry holds gets smaller as you approach a black hole, but it's still there. It's just that the equivalence principle isn't a perfect symmetry.
Milsomonk
Hello people,
I have been thinking about a concept that I was taught whilst learning GR, If I understand correctly it is that Lorentz symmetry becomes local when we consider GR. This makes sense to me as then the metric is generally speaking not Minkowski, only for a sufficiently small area with no mass/energy present.

So my question is this, as you approach a black hole is it correct to say that the local area in which lorentz symmetry holds gets smaller?

If so can it then be inferred that the symmetry is broken at event horizon?

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Milsomonk said:
If I understand correctly it is that Lorentz symmetry becomes local when we consider GR.

This is true, but you have to be clear about what that means. It means that Lorentz symmetry is not a symmetry of spacetime at all. It's a symmetry of the tangent space at each point.

Milsomonk said:
This makes sense to me as then the metric is generally speaking not Minkowski, only for a sufficiently small area with no mass/energy present.

Even if there is no stress-energy present, the metric will not be Minkowski in general. For example, Schwarzschild spacetime is a vacuum solution, but the metric is not Minkowski anywhere; it's curved everywhere.

Milsomonk said:
as you approach a black hole is it correct to say that the local area in which lorentz symmetry holds gets smaller?

You are confusing local Lorentz symmetry with the equivalence principle. In general, as tidal gravity increases (which it will as you get closer to any gravitating body, black hole or otherwise), given a fixed measurement accuracy, the area over which tidal effects will be negligible gets smaller. But that only tells you the area over which you can approximate the actual curved spacetime with a small patch of flat spacetime. It doesn't change anything about the Lorentz symmetry of the tangent space at a point.

Milsomonk said:
If so can it then be inferred that the symmetry is broken at event horizon?

No. See above.

Just to add to what PeterDonis says - given a large enough black hole, GR predicts that you can cross the event horizon with no ill effect. Spacetime is still locally flat enough that you won't feel a thing. You can't escape, and you'll be shredded before you reach the singularity. But it's locally flat spacetime all the way in - for increasingly local meanings of local and give or take the eventual inaccuracy of GR near the predicted singularity.

I understand, thanks for the clarification, I was thinking it would be local for a patch in the same sense you consider the equivalence principle, cheers guys :)

What is Lorentz Symmetry at Black Hole Event Horizon?

Lorentz symmetry at black hole event horizon refers to the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their position or motion, near the event horizon of a black hole. This principle is based on the theory of relativity and is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe.

Why is Lorentz Symmetry important in relation to black holes?

Lorentz symmetry is important in relation to black holes because it helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon. The laws of physics, including the conservation of energy and momentum, must hold true near the event horizon for the theory of relativity to remain consistent.

How does Lorentz Symmetry affect the behavior of matter near a black hole's event horizon?

Lorentz symmetry affects the behavior of matter near a black hole's event horizon by causing time to slow down and space to become distorted. This means that objects near the event horizon will experience extreme gravitational forces and may appear to be frozen in time to outside observers.

What evidence do we have for Lorentz Symmetry at Black Hole Event Horizon?

There is strong evidence for Lorentz symmetry at black hole event horizons from observations of the behavior of matter and energy near these objects. For example, gravitational lensing, the bending of light around a massive object, is consistent with the predictions of Lorentz symmetry.

Are there any exceptions to Lorentz Symmetry at Black Hole Event Horizon?

There are some theories that propose exceptions to Lorentz symmetry near black hole event horizons, such as loop quantum gravity and string theory. However, these theories are still being studied and have not yet been confirmed by observations. So, currently, there are no known exceptions to Lorentz symmetry at black hole event horizons.