Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transform of a radial & longitudinal dependent magnetic field

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    Basically I am trying to lorentz transform the magnetic field along θ of a bunch particles which have a gaussian distribution to the radial electric field. However the magnetic field in θ is dependent on the longitiudinal distribution.
    Now initially i thought we would just use the standard LT,

x=x'
    y=y'
    s'=/gamma (s-βct).
    Now someone suggested to me that infact the transform will be non trivial when a longitudinal dependent radial field is perpendicular to the boost axis.
    Can someone suggest some literature that would point me in the right direction?

Just for reference the field follows as,

B_{\theta}=Const \times r^(-1/2)e^{-r^{2}/2*sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}

Sorry i am not sure how to make it latex

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

clem

Science Advisor

You have to Lorentz transform the B vector also. This is described in advanced EM books.

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put a double-dollar before and after
    $$B_{\theta}=Const \times r^(-1/2)e^{-r^{2}/2*sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}$$
    Then correct the errors
    $$B_{\theta}=\mbox{Const} \times r^{-1/2}e^{-r^{2}/2 \sigma_{r}^{2}} e^{-s^{2}/2\sigma_{s}^{2}}$$
    ...if that's what you meant.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe this will help:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node123.html

which presents the Lorentz transformation for E and B fields. To see the derivation, you have to work backwards through the preceding pages.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #5
    Ok thanks.. I'll have a look through

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook