Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation and paravectors

1. Jul 12, 2014 #1
    Greetings,

I have been reading William Baylis - "Electrodynamics - A Modern Geometric approach". For anyone who has the book, the question I am about to ask is related to what's on pages 42-44.

The Lorentz-transformed paravector [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex] of a paravector [itex]p[/itex] is given by

[itex]p^{\prime}=LpL^{\dagger}[/itex].

Above, the Lorentz transformation [itex]L[/itex] is defined as:

[itex]L=\exp [(\boldsymbol{w}-i\boldsymbol{\theta})/2][/itex],

so that if [itex]\boldsymbol{\theta}=\boldsymbol{0}[/itex] we have, using the hyperbolic Euler formula,

[itex]L=\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)[/itex],

which represents a Lorentz boost. I have seen this form of the Lorentz boost in other contexts, and been fine with it, but I want to make sure that I understand it well in the paravector formalism, so I attempted a derivation to relate it to the more familiar form of the Lorentz transformation with [itex]\gamma[/itex]'s. Below is my derivation.

Let [itex]\boldsymbol{\theta}=\boldsymbol{0}[/itex]. Then

[itex]
    p^{\prime}
    =LpL^{\dagger}\\
    =[\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)](p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p})[\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)]\\
    =[\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)](p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p}_{\parallel}+\boldsymbol{p}_{\perp})[\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)]
    [/itex].

Above, parallel and perpendicular refer to directions relative to [itex]\boldsymbol{w}[/itex]. Scalars commute with everything, so the scalar [itex]p_{0}[/itex] will commute with everything in the square brackets (i.e., all of [itex]L[/itex]). Parallel vectors commute, so [itex]\boldsymbol{p}_{\parallel}[/itex] will also commute with everything in the square brackets. Perpendicular vectors anticommute, so [itex]\boldsymbol{p}_{\perp}[/itex] will commute with the scalar term in square brackets, and anticommute with the vector term. Performing all of these rules and simplifying gives

[itex]
    p^{\prime}
    =[\cosh (w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w/2)]^{2}(p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p}_{\parallel})+\boldsymbol{p}_{\perp}
    [/itex].

For the rest of the derivation, let [itex]\boldsymbol{p}=\boldsymbol{p}_{\parallel}[/itex], i.e., let [itex]\boldsymbol{p}_{\perp}=\boldsymbol{0}[/itex], for convenience. Then, expanding,

[itex]
    p^{\prime}
    =[\cosh ^{2}(w/2)+\sinh ^{2}(w/2)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}2\cosh (w/2)\sinh (w/2)](p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p})\\
    =[\cosh (w)+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w)](p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p})
    [/itex].

Identifying [itex]w[/itex] as the rapidity, we have [itex]\cosh (w)=\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w)=\gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}[/itex], so that

[itex]
    p^{\prime}
    =[\gamma +\gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}](p_{0}+\boldsymbol{p})\\
    =(\gamma p_{0}+\gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}\boldsymbol{p}) + (\gamma \boldsymbol{p} + \gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}p_{0})
    [/itex],

where the terms in the first parentheses are the scalar (i.e., time) portion of [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex], and the terms in the second parentheses are the vector (i.e., space) portion of [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex]. So, I almost get the Lorentz boost, except that the plus in each parentheses should be replaced by a minus, which would occur if the [itex]+\gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}[/itex] in the second-to-last line was replaced with a [itex]-\gamma \frac{\boldsymbol{v}}{c}[/itex], which would occur if the [itex]+\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w)[/itex] a little earlier were replaced with a [itex]-\hat{\boldsymbol{w}}\sinh (w)[/itex].

So, I think I may have made a simple algebraic mistake somewhere, but I have been staring at it for a long time and cannot find my mistake (I'm probably just too close to it). Can anyone else spot it?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted