1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lorentz transformation matrix

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Consider a two dimensional Minkowski space (1 spatial, 1 time dimension). What is the condition on a transformation matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex], such that the inner product is preserved? Solve this condition in terms of the rapidity.

2. Relevant equations:
    Rapidity Relations:
    [tex]\beta=tanh\theta, \gamma=cosh\theta[/tex]

Inner Product:
    [tex]u^T \eta u[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution:
    From the definition of inner product, to preserve inner product when [itex]u'=\Lambda u[/itex], we must have [itex]\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta[/itex]

In matrix form:
    [tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda_1 & \lambda_3 \\ \lambda_2 & \lambda_4 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda_1 & \lambda_2 \\ \lambda_3 & \lambda_4 \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

This gives three relations:
    [tex]\lambda_1^2-\lambda_3^2=1, \lambda_2^2-\lambda_4^2=-1, \lambda_1\lambda_2=\lambda_3\lambda_4[/tex]

After substituting and solving the equations, letting [itex]\lambda_1=\lambda[/itex], I get the final form of the matrix as:
    [tex]\Lambda=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} \lambda & \pm\sqrt{\lambda^2-1} \\ \pm\sqrt{\lambda^2-1} & \lambda \end{array} \right][/tex]

The two matrices are inverses of each other which can be shown easily. Since the Lorentz transformations are like rotations that mix space and time dimensions, I know the final result in terms of rapidity should be:
    [tex]\Lambda=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} cosh\theta & \pm sinh\theta \\ \pm sinh\theta & cosh\theta \end{array} \right][/tex]

However, I'm not sure how to get the final step I need, by showing [itex]\lambda=cosh\theta[/itex]. All I can say for sure is based on how the transformations behave at v=0 (returns identity matrix), and v=c (rapidity is infinite), is that λ(0)=1 and the function is strictly increasing to infinity. Obviously hyperbolic cosine fits that description, but so do a lot of other functions. So, I'm not sure what specifically will let me get the function I need.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you have so far is correct. You have shown that you can write

[tex]\Lambda = \begin{pmatrix} \cosh \rho & \pm \sinh \rho \\ \pm \sinh \rho & \cosh \rho \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

for some quantity [itex]\rho[/itex]. What is left is to show that [itex]\rho[/itex] is, in fact, the rapidity. To accomplish that, you should take a particle at rest and then boost it to some velocity [itex]\beta = v/c[/itex]; then show how [itex]\rho[/itex] is related to [itex]\beta[/itex].

I.e., you should know independently what the velocity 4-vector (2-vector in this case) should look like after a boost from rest, so use that to find how to interpret the parameter [itex]\rho[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook