1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation problem

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship has a speed of .8c relative to Earth. In its own reference fram, the length of this spaceship is 300m.
    a.) consider a light emiited from the tail of this spaceship. In the reference frame of the spaceship, how long does this pulse take to reach the nose>
    b.) In the reference frame of the Earth, how long does this take? Calculate this time directly from the motions of the spaceship and the light pulse; hen recalculate it by applying the Lorentz transformations to the result obtained in (a).

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] t =\frac{t' + \frac{Vx'}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^{2}}{c^{2}}}}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think i have part a figured out.. All i did was divide 300 by c to get [tex] \Delta t' = 1.0*10^-6s[/tex]

b.) For this part, I cannot figure out how to do it without using the Lorentz transform directly like so:
    [tex]t' = 1.0*10^-6s........
    x' = 300m........
    V = .8c

[tex] t =\frac{1.0*10^-6s + \frac{.8c(300m)}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(.8c)^{2}}{c^{2}}}}
    = 1.40 * 10^-6s [/tex]

I cannot do this though without the lorentz transform. We haven't gone over length contraction yet, so I cannot use it to determine the length of the spaceship in earths reference frame. If anyone could please help me get started on this I would appreciate it greatly!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    I've been trying to manipulate the other lorentz equations ( in specific the ones for x), but i cannot find anything that will work. Once again, If someone could help me out here I would appreciate it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?