1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation problem

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

two photons travel along the x-axis of S , WITH A CONSTANT DISTANCE L betweenthem. Prove that in S's the distance between these photons is L(c+v)^1/2/(c-v)^1/2.

2. Relevant equations

x'=gamma*(x-vt), x=gamma*(x'+vt), t=gamma*(t'+vx'/c^2), t=gamma*(t'-vx'/c^2)
    3. The attempt at a solution

L(c+v)^1/2/(c-v)^1/2=L((c+v)/(c-v))^.5=L((+v/c)/(1-v/c))^.5. So will the two photons reach a midpoint along the x-axis. I think I should either find the difference between x_2 and x_`1 or the difference between x'_1 and x'_2. I thinkl in one reference frame , the time would be dilated with the moving frame for both photons . Is my line of thinking correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

That is the quantity you should be looking for, keeping in mind that the definition of simultaneity is not the same in S' as in S - so you need to calculate the difference between [itex]x_1'[/itex] and [itex]x_2'[/itex] as measured at the same time in S', not at the same time in S.

Consider drawing a spacetime diagram. I find that doing that helps with these kinds of problems.

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3
    In order to calculate x_2' and x_1' should I calculate t_1 and t_2 first?

5. Dec 28, 2010 #4
    I'm trying to teach myself special relativity (using the book 'Introduction to Special Relativity' by Wolfgang Rindler). I'm currently working on the problem stated above.

My first approach was : x1=ct ; x2=L+ct.
    Then using x'=gamma(x-vt) and t'=gamma(t-vx/c²) I calculate x1' and x2'. However I'm always arriving at L'=gamma(L) which is the formula for Length contraction.

Where is my mistake ? There obviously is a difference between the length contraction (of a rod in S seen from S') and the 'length contraction' in this problem (the distance between 2 moving photons).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook