Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    Can i know how does the Lorentz transformation equations are derived?

Especially the equation for t', what is term vx/c^2 there implies?
    thank you for answering me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 21, 2006 #4
    Well, you ask alot here. It's a tall order, unless you desire a quick cheat sheet of sorts, with much assumed and/or omitted. Your question requires Sections 1 thru 3 of Einstein's 1905 OEMB paper, On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies. Section 3 is where the derivation takes place, whereby Einstein uses his kinematic model (thought experiment) of an emitter & reflector bouncing light back & forth.

The -vx/c^2 term is a temporal offset based upon distance x. Clocks in sync in the moving frame do not appear in sync per the stationary observing frame, however those moving clocks all tick at the same rate. If one clock reads 12am in some instant of your vantage, the other clock does not. It reads 12am at some other moment in your vantage, prior or later, even though the clocks are 12am AT ONCE per themselves. The delta time between like readouts (per you) depends opon the variable seperation x, and the recorded velocity.

6. Oct 22, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Oct 22, 2006 #6

Pete, there is something I would like to understand at the number (7) of your website :

[tex]v\gamma t' = v\gamma^2 t - \gamma^2 \beta^2 x = v\gamma^2 t - \gamma^2 vx/c^2[/tex]

Why does [itex]\beta^2 x = vx/c^2[/itex] if [itex]\beta^2 = v^2 / c^2[/itex]?

Isn't [itex]v\gamma t' = v\gamma^2 t - \gamma^2 v^2 x/c^2 = v\gamma^2 (t-vx/c^2 )[/itex] ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  8. Oct 22, 2006 #7
    Infact, there is a mistake. It should be as you say. The last term shouldn't be gamma^2 vx/c^2 but, instead:
    gamma^2 v^2x/c^2.
  9. Oct 23, 2006 #8
    Its probably beccause I screwed up. :biggrin:

When I create these web pages I first do it with pen to paper. Then I transfer to an MS Word document so I can add equations etc. Then I take that and translated it into a web page. There's plenty of places to go wrong in this process. But thank you so much for pointing it out. I'll put this in my file of web pages to correct. Thanks again.

Best wishes

10. Oct 23, 2006 #9
    No problem, I thank you for it, because I had been searching for this kind of webpage when I found this thread :biggrin:
  11. Oct 23, 2006 #10
    Thanks. I gotta tell ya Zeit. Its a very good feeling when you've done an enormous amount of work and someone finds it of use. Thank you for letting me know. :approve:

Best wishes

ps - Feel free to e-mail me or PM me about anything whatsoever. Okay? :smile:
  12. Oct 23, 2006 #11

Thanks Pete for your proposal, I'll write you if I need to :tongue:

Good bye
  13. May 11, 2011 #12
    PETE, Please i want to know the similarities between lorenz and galilean transformation
  14. May 11, 2011 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How long are you willing to wait for a answer? Pete has not been active for nearly 3yrs.
    I suggest you start your own thread.

Necroposting. Thread locked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?