1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    So I'm looking at some Lorentz transformation equations and it says
    x'=[tex]\gamma[/tex](x-vt)
    t'=[tex]\gamma[/tex](t-vx/c[tex]^{2}[/tex])
    y'=y
    z'=z

I'm assuming the values for y', y, z' and z only hold true when the inertial frames of S and S' are moving at a relative velocity in the x-direction. With this being said, what would the transformations be if the inertial frames were in an xy or xyz direction? Thanks in advance.

-Pat

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2
    lorentz transformation plane motion

As far as I know the situation is known as plane motion. Your question is answered in

Relativistic motion in a plane
    Byron L. Coulter
    Am. J. Phys. 48, 633 (1980) Full Text: [ PDF (486 kB) GZipped PS Order ]
    I think it can be simplified.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
    If [itex] (\mathbf{r},t) [/itex] are space-time coordinates of an event in the reference frame O, and the reference frame O' moves with velocity [itex] \mathbf{v} = c \vec{\theta} \theta^{-1} \tanh \theta [/itex] with respect to O, then space-time coordinates [itex] (\mathbf{r}',t') [/itex] of the same event in O' can be obtained by formulas

[tex] \mathbf{r}' = \mathbf{r} + \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}(\mathbf{r} \cdot \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}) (\cosh \theta - 1) - \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta} ct \sinh \theta [/tex]

[tex] t' = t \cosh \theta - (\mathbf{r} \cdot \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}) \frac{\sinh \theta}{c} [/tex]

These formulas are derived by the same procedure as momentum-energy Lorentz transformations (see eq. (4.2) - (4.3) in http://www.arxiv.org/physics/0504062)

Eugene.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]t'=\gamma(t-{\vec r}\cdot{\vec v}/c^2)[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. Aug 9, 2007 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The previous reply is three equations, I couldn't get Latex to do line by line.
    r_\parallel and r_\perp are parallel and perp to v.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And if you know matrix multiplication,
    [tex]B = \begin{pmatrix} \gamma & -\gamma \beta_1 & -\gamma \beta_2 & -\gamma \beta_3 \\
    -\gamma \beta_1 & 1 + \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_3}{\beta^2} \\
    -\gamma \beta_2 & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_2}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2\beta_3}{\beta^2} \\
    -\gamma \beta_3 & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_3}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2\beta_3}{\beta^2} & 1 + \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_3^2}{\beta^2}
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    where [itex]\beta = (\beta_1, \beta_2, \beta_3)[/itex] is a unit vector in the direction of the relative velocity, and
    [itex]x' = B x[/itex] for [itex]x = (c t, x, y, z)[/itex] and similar for the transformed system [itex]x'[/itex].

Source: Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, chapter 11.7

8. Aug 9, 2007 #7
    I had a feeling there was no simple answer, thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?