1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I need to show that:
    1. if E is [itex]\perp[/itex] to B in one Lorentz frame, it is [itex]\perp[/itex] in all Lorentz frames
    2. [itex]|E|>|cB|[/itex] in L. frame, [itex]|E|>|cB|[/itex] in all L. frame
    3. Angle b/t E and B is acute/obtuse in L. frame, it is acute/obtuse in all L. frame
    4. E is [itex]\perp[/itex] to B but [itex]|E|\neq|cB|[/itex], then there is a frame which the field is purely electric or magnetic

Attempt:
    1. I believe I just show that [itex] \bar{E} \cdot \bar{B} =E \cdot B[/itex]
    2. I believe I just show [itex]\bar{E}^2-c^2 \bar{B}^2 =E^2-B^2c^2[/itex] so that if [itex]|E|>|cB|[/itex], then [itex]\bar{E}^2-c^2 \bar{B}^2[/itex] is positive and thus [itex]E^2-B^2c^2[/itex] has to be positive, thus, [itex]|E|>|cB|[/itex] in all frames.

Not too sure where to start for 3 and 4. Open to suggestions, also it would be great if someone could check my approach for 1 and 2. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LocationX! :smile:

Your answers to 1 and 2 seem fine. :smile:

3 should be similar to 1 … what is the sign of E.B if the angle between is acute?

4: I suggest you start with the simple case of |E| > c|B|, and B and E along the x-direction and y-direction respectively, and see what happens when you transform parallel to the x-direction. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?