Applying Lorentz Transformation to 4-Velocity Vector

In summary, Lorentz transformations can be applied directly to a four velocity vector with the use of a Lorentz transformation matrix. This matrix is universal for all four-vectors and can be used to transform other physical quantities as well. To add velocities in the sense of three-vector velocities, one must first go over to the proper velocity and then use the Lorentz transformation matrix to transform it. The four-vector is the proper way to represent velocities, as it has an invariant scalar product and can be easily transformed using a Lorentz matrix.
ssamsymn
Can Lorentz Transformation be applied directly to a four velocity vector?

I mean let v[itex]_{α}[/itex] be a four velocity vector.

Is there a form of Lorentz tfm matrix such that:

v[itex]^{'}[/itex][itex]_{α}[/itex] = [itex]\Lambda^{β}[/itex][itex]_{α}[/itex]v[itex]_{β}[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, why not ? As long as the velocity in the transformation is the relative velocity between frames, thus independent of the spatial components of the v 4-vector. And we usually write

##v'_{\alpha} = \Lambda_{\alpha}^{~\beta} v_{\beta} ##

yeah man, as wikipedia says: "The transformation matrix is universal for all four-vectors, not just 4-dimensional spacetime coordinates" on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation about halfway down, under the subsection heading "transformation of other physical quantities"

I didn't encounter the matrix anywhere, they always use the addition of the velocities, so I wasn't sure. I think I should construct on my own that matrix. Thank you

Correction:
I was trying to ask is there a matrix which includes all the "four vector information" in itself and we can act it on salt
[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] 's as (c, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] ) (not a four velocity but still)

Maybe it seems meaningless but I was confused with all the γ factors because I couldn't find out which of the velocities should be used in them.

I tried to find L in the form of a matrix equation:

V' = L(not the Lorentz tfm matrix) V

and V vectors have 4 components.

Thanks again anyway.

In units such that c=1,
$$\Lambda=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}\begin{pmatrix}1 & -v\\ -v & 1\end{pmatrix},$$ where ##v\in(-1,1)## is the velocity of the new coordinate system in the old. This is of course just a Lorentz transformation. I don't understand what you want when you say "not the Lorentz tfm matrix".

Of course, you cannot simply transform a non-covariant object. The right way to "add" velocities in the sense of three-vector velocities is to first go over to the proper velocity
[tex]u^{\mu}=\gamma \begin{bmatrix}{1 \\ \vec{v}}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
with [itex]\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-v^2}[/itex].

Of course you get the three-velocity as
[tex]\vec{v}=\vec{u}/u^0.[/tex]
Then, by definition you define the three-velocity in the new frame as
[tex]\vec{v}'=\vec{u}'/u'^0[/tex]
with
[tex]u'^{\mu}={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} u^{\nu},[/tex]
where [itex]{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}[/itex] is an arbitrary O(1,3) matrix.

I think vanhees has explained it pretty well. From the equations, we get:
[tex]u'^{\mu}=\gamma' \begin{bmatrix}{1 \\ \vec{v}'}\end{bmatrix} [/tex]
So the velocity of the object (or whatever), with respect to the old frame is unprimed. And the velocity of the object according to the new frame is primed. (when I say primed, I mean ' this thing).
And also, the unprimed gamma corresponds to the unprimed velocity and the primed gamma corresponds to the primed velocity.

The reason that this form of the 4-velocity is used, is because it is a four-vector. i.e. it has an invariant scalar product, and you can use a Lorentz matrix on it to boost it. And it has a lot of nice properties. On the other hand, the column matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}{1 \\ \vec{v}}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Does not have all the nice properties of a 4-vector. If you wanted an equation for this thing, then you could rearrange the equation for the four-vector as:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}{1 \\ \vec{v}'}\end{bmatrix} = \frac{\gamma}{\gamma'} {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} \begin{bmatrix}{1 \\ \vec{v}}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
But people don't usually write stuff like this, because the physics is really contained in the equation for the four-vector. So the 'proper' four-vector is the thing that you should try to get used to thinking about.

Also, as vanhees says, if you want to then talk about the new 3-velocity, then you can do this:
[tex]\vec{v}'=\vec{u}'/u'^0[/tex]
Which is a much nicer way, because here we can clearly see how it relates to the four-vector, which is the physically important quantity.

1. How is the Lorentz Transformation applied to a 4-velocity vector?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical tool used to transform the coordinates of an event from one inertial frame of reference to another. To apply it to a 4-velocity vector, we first need to determine the components of the vector in both frames of reference. Then, we can use the Lorentz Transformation equations to transform the components and obtain the 4-velocity vector in the new frame of reference.

2. What is the significance of the 4-velocity vector in Special Relativity?

The 4-velocity vector is a fundamental concept in Special Relativity that describes the velocity of an object in space-time. It is a 4-dimensional vector that combines the three components of velocity (x, y, and z) with the fourth component of time (t). This vector is invariant under the Lorentz Transformation and is used to calculate important quantities such as energy and momentum in relativity.

3. How does the 4-velocity vector change in different frames of reference?

The 4-velocity vector changes in different frames of reference due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. As an object moves at high speeds, its velocity in space (x, y, and z components) may remain constant, but its velocity in time (t component) will appear to decrease in a different frame of reference. This results in a change in the magnitude and direction of the 4-velocity vector.

4. What are the limitations of applying Lorentz Transformation to 4-velocity vector?

The Lorentz Transformation is only applicable in inertial frames of reference, meaning frames that are not accelerating or rotating. Additionally, it assumes that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. If these assumptions are not met, the Lorentz Transformation may not accurately describe the behavior of 4-velocity vectors.

5. Is the 4-velocity vector conserved in Special Relativity?

Yes, the 4-velocity vector is conserved in Special Relativity. This means that the magnitude and direction of the 4-velocity vector remain constant in all inertial frames of reference. This is a consequence of the invariance of the laws of physics under the Lorentz Transformation.