1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reference frame S' moves at speed v=0.94c in the +x direction with respect to reference frame S. The origins of S and S' overlap at t=t′=0. An object is stationary in S' at position x′ = 140 m .

Part B
    What is the position of the object in S when the clock in S reads 1.3 μs according to the Lorentz transformation equations?

2. Relevant equations
    x=γ(x'+vt')

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part A, the Galilean transformation, easily enough. That came out to be 506.6 m. I've been getting the Lorentz transformation wrong and am thinking I'm missing something simple.

I used γ=1/√(1-v^2/c^2) and obtained γ=2.93. I then multiplied this by the Galilean transformation and got ~1485, but Mastering Physics is saying no.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HI Blue Kangaroo and welcome to PF
    :welcome:

You are missing a relevant equation involving the time transformation.

You just can't multiply γ "by the Galilean transformation" (whatever that means) and expect to get a sensible answer.

4. Feb 27, 2017 #3
    My line of thinking was since part A asked for the Galilean transformation (given by x=x'+vt') that that would go directly into the x=γ(x'+vt') equation.

So do I then need to use t=γ(t'+vx'/c^2) and then plug that t into x=γ(x'+vt') to get my final answer?

5. Feb 27, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you will get a system of two equations and two unknowns, the position in S that the problem asks you to find and time t' that the problem doesn't ask you to find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted