1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    I am not sure wheather
    matrix T^v_u = {T^u_v}^-1
    or T^v_u = {T^v_u} is true?
    T is a lorentz transformation for 4 vector~

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start by writing down the matrix representation of a general Lorentz transformation.

In matrix language, that is [itex]T^T=T^{-1}[/itex]. In other words, you are asking if the transpose of [itex]T[/itex] equals the inverse of [itex]T[/itex].

Try writing it out explicitly and see if it does.

Is there a typo here? Because here you just seem to be asking if [itex]T^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] equals itself, unless there is something else implied by the { } braces.
  4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    It is great that you can understand my notation~ you are so smart!!

It is my fault that I want to ask is T^v_u = {T^v_u} -1?

thanks for help
  5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your notation is a lot like LaTeX, which is what I used to make my math symbols. So, I'm not really that smart. :tongue2:

OK, so now you're asking if [itex]T[/itex] is equal to its own inverse. Again, try to write down the matrix and see if that is so.
  6. Sep 27, 2005 #5
    Actually T is a special transformation~ called Lorentz transformation. In 4 vector case they are not equal~ but my lecturer asked me to prove T = T inverse~ I wonder is there is any typing error in his assignment given? or the position of the indexs may affect the result? They are not the same in fact!

yuk yuk
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?