Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformations explanation?

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    sorry, i'm not particularly well versed in this field. can someone explain the lorentz transformations to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use Google to search for "Lorentz transformation". You will get a lot of hits explaining it.

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    If I traveled at 75% the speed of light (.75c) for 1 hour, did one hour really pass for me? No, only .66 hours passed for me, or 39.6 minuts. I found this by uising the lorenz transformation [itex]\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex] The evidence is here...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=sqr(1-(.75c)^2/c^2)
    The exact same goes for a decrease in length, and an increas in math exept its a factor using division for the latter.
    sorry if the latex is a little off

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wrong. You would experience the same thing you did at rest (Postulate I of SR, Galilean relativity: Every inertial frame experiences the same physics). The unmentioned frame with respect to which you have that .75c speed would see your lengths shortened and your clocks slowed.

6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
    well that is obvious. Relativistic effects only occur from another frame of reference :grumpy: Even if time did slow down for you, you cant notice a difference. And it's not only clocks that slow down, its everything that time effects. I guess you just like the feeling of telling people they are wrong :rofl: I think if you are going to tell people
    you should atleast explain who does time really slow down for, it would help people understand better.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  7. Mar 23, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Lighten up, eNathan! You made a mistake (or at least made a very confusing statement); selfAdjoint just pointed it out. (It's his sworn duty as a mentor... he had no choice!)

8. Mar 23, 2005 #7
    Isn't that nice. But people here seem to criticize things that are right, wrong, and in the middle.

9. Mar 25, 2005 #8
    Yes. It's all very simple. Clock time can be conceptualized with moving rulers in such a way that the astonishing connection between space and time can be clearly understood.

http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  10. Mar 25, 2005 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But correcting and clarifying are not "criticizing". You are the only one criticizing here.

11. Mar 26, 2005 #10
    sorry to put you all through this, but i looked it up in the encyclopedia of physics lol. thanks anyway for being supporting.

12. Mar 26, 2005 #11

JesseM

Science Advisor

I think it was pretty clear what eNathan meant from the context (i.e. if you see me travel at 0.75c for 1 hour in your frame, then in my frame the journey only lasted 0.66 hours)--selfAdjoint was just being a bit pedantic (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, even though eNathan understood it, others could have been confused I guess).

13. Mar 27, 2005 #12

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I see your point. And eNathan's as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?