1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformations

1. May 13, 2007 #1
    Question
    Show that, with V = 4/5c, the Lorentz transformation of the equations, t^prime = y(V) (t-(v/c^2)x) and x^prime = y(V) (x-Vt). (where y(V) = the Lorentz factor).

can be written as

ct^prime = 5/3ct - 4/3x

and

x^prime = 5/3x - 4/3ct

Relevant equations
    y(V) = 1/(sqrt1-(V/c)^2)

The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated y(V) = 5/3 (if V = 4/5c)
    and i can see how the left hand term in each equation becomes 5/3ct and 5/3x respectivley. But i cant figure where the 4/3 term comes from?? or how to derive it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2
    The second term on the RHS in both equations contain a 'v', right?

4. May 13, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] \left( \frac{5}{3} \right) \left( \frac{4}{5} \right) = \frac{4}{3}.[/tex]

5. May 15, 2007 #4
    Ahh... the penny drops. thank you

6. May 15, 2007 #5
    A further Lorentz transformation problem.

The question i have is.

Use these Lorentz transformations ct'=5/3ct-4/3x and x'=5/3x-4/3ct. to determine the (ct', x') coordinates, in meters, that observer O' assigns to events e1 and e2.

Relevent equations and information.

from a previous question i have determined the coordinates of the events in the rest frame of observer O to be e1 = (0, 240)m, e2 = (60, 240)m.

My attempt at answer

Using the given Lorentz transformations i have found for event e1 as observed by O' is.

e1 = (ct', x') = (5/3ct-4/3x, 5/3x-4/3ct) = (-180, 144)m
    e2 = (ct', x') = (5/3ct-4/3x, 5/3x-4/3ct) = (-144, 99) m

However i feel uncomfortable with these answers, but cannot put my finger on why? Please can some one check my results?

thank you

7. May 15, 2007 #6
    Further to my last post, the reason i feel uncomfortable is that surely the x component of the coordinates should be the same for both events? I can check this via the Lorentz length contraction formula, which gives l = lo/y(V) =144?

8. May 15, 2007 #7
    It seems to be errors in arithmetic to me.

Surely, then, both observers must be referring to the same reference frame.

9. May 15, 2007 #8
    yep your right i have just spotted my error. i think i have also calculated the transformed event coordinations incorrectly as well?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  10. May 15, 2007 #9
    Sorry about my previous post. I misread your statement, and gave a stupid reply (eyes can play tricks on you late at night!). I really cannot say whether the x coordinates of the two events in the O frame are the same or not, unless I have more information. But if you have managed to find you errors in spite of my comment, then well and good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?