Why do objects appear shorter and clocks run slower in space stations?

In summary: So in general, the faster someone is moving, the slower their clock looks to other observers. However, this is only true if the observers are in the same space and the person is moving at the same speed as the clock. If someone is moving at a different speed, their clock will look faster to the other observer.
MotoH
Since the lorentz transformations do not change an object in the z and y directions, but it does in the x direction, is this why a ruler looks shorter in the space station example? (same everything on each station, one moving by your IFR) Also is it why the clock appears to be running slower than your own?

Sorry if I am a little vague, I am new to relativity!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MotoH! :smile:
MotoH said:
Since the lorentz transformations do not change an object in the z and y directions, but it does in the x direction, is this why a ruler looks shorter in the space station example? (same everything on each station, one moving by your IFR) Also is it why the clock appears to be running slower than your own?

Yes, and yes. :wink:

Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify, from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong please!)

If you were following a laser beam at say 80% the speed of light, your clock would have to slow down by 80% to keep the speed of light a constant, so anyone who is looking at you from their IFR see's your clock moving 80% slower than yours.

And you see the other peoples clocks at running 80% faster than yours?

MotoH said:
And you see the other peoples clocks at running 80% faster than yours?

No, you "see" their clocks as running slower than your own, by the same amount that they "see" your clocks as running slower than their own.

And the clocks will be at 60%, not 80%, because 0.6 = √(1 - 0.82). :wink:

Don't look at my awesome painting skills to long, I don't want you to get jealous!
srelativity.png

So for observer B who is traveling along in his awesome space ship, observer A's clock looks to be running slow because observer B's space time is compressed and A's isnt. and the same works for switching the observers. correct?

MotoH said:
So for observer B who is traveling along in his awesome space ship, observer A's clock looks to be running slow because observer B's space time is compressed and A's isnt. and the same works for switching the observers. correct?

Correct, but let's say because time dilation occurs which does not involve 'space'. That is GR!

Sorry I am asking for so much clarification!

For observer A to have the speed of light be constant for observer B, observer B's time needs to be more spread out so C = 3x10^8m/s otherwise if time was not spread out for observer B, the speed of light would be only Xm/s faster than he is, so the clock on observer B's ship is slower than observer A's asteroid because it takes longer to travel from one line to the next.

Does this seem more on par, am I on the right track?:tongue2:

Thanks!

1. Why do objects appear shorter in space stations?

Objects appear shorter in space stations due to the phenomenon of time dilation. As objects move at high speeds, time slows down for them. Therefore, when objects are moving at high speeds in space stations, they appear shorter to an observer on Earth.

2. How does time dilation affect clocks in space stations?

Time dilation also affects the rate at which clocks run in space stations. Since time is moving slower for objects in motion, clocks in space stations will also run slower compared to clocks on Earth. This is why clocks in space stations need to be adjusted periodically to sync with clocks on Earth.

3. Is there a difference in the amount of time dilation between space stations in orbit and those on other celestial bodies?

Yes, there is a difference in the amount of time dilation between space stations in orbit and those on other celestial bodies. This is because the gravitational pull of a celestial body affects the rate at which time moves. The closer the space station is to a large celestial body, the stronger the gravitational pull, and the greater the time dilation.

4. Does the size of an object in space affect how much it is impacted by time dilation?

Yes, the size of an object does have an impact on the amount of time dilation it experiences. This is because larger objects have more mass, which means they have a stronger gravitational pull. As a result, time moves slower for larger objects in motion, compared to smaller objects.

5. Can time dilation be observed on Earth?

Yes, time dilation can be observed on Earth, but only at extremely high speeds or in areas with strong gravitational fields. For example, astronauts who have traveled at high speeds or spent time in space have been found to have aged slightly slower compared to their counterparts on Earth. Additionally, atomic clocks placed at different altitudes on Earth have also shown slight differences in their time readings due to the difference in gravitational pull.