Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformations

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Hi , I'd like to know if anybody could help me understand the following: I was following the following derivation of the Lorentz transformations (http://vishnu.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap1/node4.html) and i managed to understand everything except possibly the most crucial step....how does one get the transformations: c(tbar)=(ipsilon)ct+(Beta)x and xbar=(lambda)ct+(delta)x ??? ... i m an A level student with pure maths and physics (here in malta we only do 2 subjects at a level :mad: ) if any body could explain to me how one gets to the transformations or from where to find an explanation i d be super-grateful...thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equations you refer to are just genralized linear transformation. We know that the trnafomrtaions that we have to find must be of this form, so it's just a case of finding the unknowns.

Also, it's not upsilon it's gamma.

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On a side note, the "worldline of particle moving with speed v<c" on
    http://vishnu.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap1/node4.html
    is incorrect. The tangents in the first part of the worldline are incorrectly drawn as spacelike.

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4
    Hi, thanks for such a quick reply....i got it now,,, thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?