What is the function for F in Lorentz Transformations?

In summary, smallgirl is struggling with a question relating to the Lorentz Gamma factor, and has arrived at an approximate solution by Taylor expanding the Lorentz Gamma factor and substituting in.
smallgirl
1.Hey, I am rather stuck on this question which you can see in the attached PDF. Now I began by taylor expanding the Lorentz Gamma factor (γ), up to second order and inserting this into the equation wherever I saw the gamma function, then rearranging. But I can't seem to get a function for F, for me my F comes out to be 1/2

2. The relevant equations can be seen in the PDF

3. I'm new to this, so not sure how to write it all out, however I did a taylor expansion of gamma, then substituted and rearranged and ended up with F as 1/2. I know this is wrong as obviously this would act on the y and z components which it shouldn't, as they are not affected by the transformation.

Attachments

• comment05Sept(1).pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 231
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi smallgirl. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Try making use of equations 1 and 2, and getting [itex]Δ'\phi '-Δ\phi[/itex]. This should lead to partials with respect to t and t' only.

Hey,

I don't understand the reasoning in doing this...

smallgirl said:
Hey,

I don't understand the reasoning in doing this...

[tex]Δ'\phi'=Δ\phi+\frac{1}{c^2}(\frac{\partial ^2\phi'}{\partial t'^2}-\frac{\partial ^2\phi}{\partial t^2})[/tex]
The only thing you need to do is transform [itex]\frac{\partial ^2\phi'}{\partial t'^2}[/itex] to the non-primed coordinate system.

EDIT: I corrected a minor error in the earlier version of this response.

Last edited:
Would this give me the function F?

Ok so I've been staring at it for a while, not sure how to get ∂2ϕ′/∂t′2 to the non-primed coordinate system

smallgirl said:
Ok so I've been staring at it for a while, not sure how to get ∂2ϕ′/∂t′2 to the non-primed coordinate system
For an arbitrary function f,
[tex]df=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}dt+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t'}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial t'}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t'}=γ(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+v\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Hey,Yes I had actually got that, but I didn't think what I was doing was right... I figured I would then need to differentiate again?

smallgirl said:
Hey,

Yes I had actually got that, but I didn't think what I was doing was right... I figured I would then need to differentiate again?
Yes. You do need to differentiate again. I only presented this result so that I could get you pointed in the right direction. So, differentiate again and show us what you got.

I get zero...

Well ok I get this, but it seems wrong

gamma((d2f/dt'dt)+ V(d2f/dt'dx))

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1378466731.032423.jpg
, Hey, see the attachment for what I got... Ignore the previous post...

I am really struggling with this :-(... I can't see what I am meant to be doing to get to the answer.. Like I can't see the path

smallgirl said:
View attachment 61514, Hey, see the attachment for what I got... Ignore the previous post...

I am really struggling with this :-(... I can't see what I am meant to be doing to get to the answer.. Like I can't see the path
You need a little practice doing coordinate transformations. Check this out:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t'^2}=γ(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t\partial t'}+v\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial t'})[/tex]

Ahh your kidding me right? I had that originally a you can see from my previous post

Anyways, given that I don't know what f is.. I'm not sure how to proceed

smallgirl said:
Ahh your kidding me right? I had that originally a you can see from my previous post

Anyways, given that I don't know what f is.. I'm not sure how to proceed
f is just an arbitrary function of the primed and/or the unprimed variables. Just substitute phi for f. Remember that, at a given location in 4D space time, phi prime is the same as phi.

Hey,

Yeah I did that and substituted it in and got this
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1378471843.003187.jpg

I'm confused as to where and when I'd do a Taylor expansion? Do I just Taylor expand the Lorentz factor? But that seems a bit wrong...

smallgirl said:
Hey,

Yeah I did that and substituted it in and got this View attachment 61516

I'm confused as to where and when I'd do a Taylor expansion? Do I just Taylor expand the Lorentz factor? But that seems a bit wrong...
This is not what I got. Check the math. I got:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t'^2}=γ^2\left(\frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial t^2}+2v\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x\partial t}+v^2\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2}\right)[/tex]

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1378475470.119861.jpg

Hey so I figured the maths out and arrived at what you have... Not sure what I'm meant to do now... I'm utterly lost...

Hmm maybe taylor expand gamma and then substitute in?

Last edited:
smallgirl said:
View attachment 61519

Hey so I figured the maths out and arrived at what you have... Not sure what I'm meant to do now... I'm utterly lost...

OK. You're almost done. Now you substitute this back into the equation relating the Δ's, and combine the two terms containing the second partials with respect to t, by reducing them to a common denominator. It looks like your final result is going to have a linear term in v/c, which apparently the original problem statement omitted. At this point, you can approximate the γ's by 1. You will have 3 terms on the rhs, one with a factor of v/c and two with factors of (v/c)2. In any event, the presence of the linear term in v/c will not change the main conclusion from the problem statement.

Chet

I don't understand what you mean by reducing them to a common denominator..

smallgirl said:
I don't understand what you mean by reducing them to a common denominator..
[tex]γ^2-1=\frac{1}{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}-1=\frac{(\frac{v}{c})^2}{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}=γ^2(\frac{v}{c})^2[/tex]

As I mentioned earlier, I get a result different from Eqn. 3 in your problem statement. I get
[tex]Δ'\phi'=Δ\phi+E\left(\frac{v}{c}\right)+F\left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2+...[/tex]
where
[tex]E=\frac{2}{c}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial t\partial x}[/tex]
and
[tex]F=\left(\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^2}\right)[/tex]

I have confidence in what I did, but no one is perfect. Do you have any idea what answer the book gives? Does it present a solution?

Chet

Hey,

I've yet to go through your solution and see how that works out for me, however this is what I came up with( see attachment)... Not sure how accurate the logic is...either way, I am soooo grateful for your help, so thank you soooo much!

I have no answer to check with...
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1378540615.386448.jpg

In your solution I have worked through it, but I can't see where you get the ( 1/c^2)from... Right at the begining

Last edited:
smallgirl said:
In your solution I have worked through it, but I can't see where you get the ( 1/c^2)from... Right at the begining

In special relativity, we either absorb the c within the symbol t (and call t light-years), or we retain the c in the equations (and call t years) but we don't do both. Your problem statement (incorrectly) does both. In the Lorentz Transformation, c is retained, while in the differential equations, c is absorbed. I put the c back into the differential equation so it is consistent with the form of the Lorentz Transformation used in the problem statement. Without the c in the differential equation, if t is regarded as time, the units of time and distance in the differential equation are not consistent.

I looked through your last hand-written development, and there are algebra errors in the last two lines (especially if you correctly include c in these relations).

Chet

Ahh so should I have expanded the whole thing then, and then rearranged?

smallgirl said:
Sure...and don't forget to include those c2's in the denominator.

smallgirl said:
Sure...and don't forget to include those missing c2's.

Hmm... Arg something tells me I'd be better off starting again from scratch and setting c to 1... Would the answer be similar to yours but without the c factors?

smallgirl said:
Hmm... Arg something tells me I'd be better off starting again from scratch and setting c to 1... Would the answer be similar to yours but without the c factors?
Yes, but you would have to set the c's equal to 1 in the Lorentz Transformation equations, and set the c's to 1 in the problem statement solution. You would also probably want to change all the v's to betas. Actually, I anticipate a disaster if you try to do this. Actually, all you need to do is put a 1/c2 in front of the time derivative terms in the first equation and everything will then be consistent.

Chet

Last edited:
Hey!

Just want to say, thank you soo much for having patience with me :-). I got the answer you had by adding the 1/c^2 factor and following what you did! Thank you soo much I massively appreciate what you did. Thank you :-)

1. What is the purpose of the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe how space and time coordinates change when transitioning from one inertial reference frame to another. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of special relativity and helps to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the Lorentz Transformation related to Einstein's theory of special relativity?

The Lorentz Transformation is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It is used to mathematically describe how the laws of physics remain the same in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative motion. This concept is known as the principle of relativity and is a fundamental principle in modern physics.

3. What are the variables in the Lorentz Transformation and what do they represent?

The variables in the Lorentz Transformation are time (t), space (x), and velocity (v). Time and space represent the coordinates of an event in an inertial reference frame, while velocity represents the relative velocity between two inertial frames. The Lorentz Transformation also includes the speed of light (c) as a constant.

4. Can the Lorentz Transformation be applied to any type of motion?

The Lorentz Transformation is specifically designed to describe the effects of relative motion in inertial reference frames. It is not applicable to non-inertial frames, such as accelerating frames, as these violate the principle of relativity. However, it can be extended to describe the effects of accelerated motion through the use of general relativity.

5. How is the Lorentz Transformation used in practical applications?

The Lorentz Transformation has numerous practical applications, including in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the effects of relativistic speeds on particle collisions, to understand the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields, and to design high-speed technologies such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.