Lorentz's identity, relative speed

In summary, the problem involves deriving the Lorentz transformation for velocities in the S and S' reference frames. The given equations involve finding the velocities of a particle in each frame and using them to solve for u, v, and u'. The end goal is to show that ( 1 - \frac{u^{2}}{c^{2}})(1+\frac{vux'^{2}}{c^{2}}) = ( 1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})(1-\frac{u'^{2}}{c^{2}}). The solution involves using the Lorentz transformation and algebraic manipulation.
wtronic

Homework Statement

start from:
x = [x' + vt']/sqrt[1 - v^2/c^2]
ct = [v/cx' +ct']/sqrt[1 - v^2/c^2]
y = y'
z = z'

Homework Equations

show that

( 1 - [tex]\frac{u^{2}}{c^{2}}[/tex])(1+[tex]\frac{vux'^{2}}{c^{2}}[/tex]) = ( 1 - [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}[/tex])(1-[tex]\frac{u'^{2}}{c^{2}}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I have spent many hours on this crappy thing. We have no book in class so...
I derived the lorentz transformation for ux, uy, and uz... as well as u'x', u'y', u'z'... then i computed the velocities in each fram using u = sqrt[ ux^2 + uy^2 + uz^2] and the same for u'. Nevertheless I end up in some mess of algebraic letters that get me nowhere close to the answer. I just need some sort of hit as to how to approach this problem.

thansk for any hints.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are u,v,u' ? Is -v the velocity of unprimed system wrt the primed system? Then what's u? I suggest that you post the entire problem as it was given. That way, there's no scope for confusion.

yeah, I know it is confusing... but that is the whole problem... exactly as it was given to us.
For what understand it is like this

u = speed of particle 1 in S frame of reference
u = sqrt[ux^2 + uy^2 + uz^2]
u' = speed of same particle after a lorentz transformation in the S' frame of reference
u' = sqrt[u'x^2 + u'y^2 + u'z^2]

now, v would be the speed of one reference with respect to the other. I assume it is the v that carries over from the gamma sqrt[1-v^2/c^2] from the lorentz transformation.

sorry about my notation, but I can't understand how to use latex yet.

thanks for the reply

this the actual equation

[text]1+u_{x}single-quoteV/c^2=\sqrt(1-usingle-quote^2/c^2)*\sqrt(1-V^2/c^2)/\sqrt(1-u^2/c^2)[/text]

Last edited:
never mind guys, i found the answer... i will post the stepwise solution when i get a chance to write it on latex or scan it

1. What is Lorentz's identity?

Lorentz's identity, also known as the Lorentz transformation, is a mathematical formula used in the theory of special relativity to describe how time and space coordinates of an event can differ for two observers moving at constant speeds relative to each other.

2. Who is Hendrik Lorentz?

Hendrik Lorentz was a Dutch physicist who developed the mathematical equations of special relativity with Albert Einstein. He also made significant contributions to the understanding of electromagnetism and was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1902.

3. What is the significance of Lorentz's identity in physics?

Lorentz's identity is essential in understanding the principles of special relativity, which have revolutionized our understanding of time, space, and the relationship between mass and energy. It is also crucial in modern physics, particularly in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

4. How does Lorentz's identity relate to relative speed?

Lorentz's identity explains how the measurements of time and space can vary for two observers moving at different speeds relative to each other. This variation in measurements is known as time dilation and length contraction, and it is an essential aspect of understanding the effects of relative speed in special relativity.

5. Can Lorentz's identity be tested and proven?

Yes, Lorentz's identity has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate through numerous experiments and observations. It has been validated by the consistency of its predictions with real-world measurements and is a fundamental principle of modern physics.