1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lorenz Gauge

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1
    Can someone explain to me (or point me towards a source) how is the Lorenz Gauge derived? I am reading the Griffiths book and from what I understand we can do the transformation ##A' = A + \nabla \lambda## and at the same time ##V' = V - \frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}## and B and E remain unchanged. This is pretty obvious for the Coulomb gauge (in finding ##\lambda## to satisfy the condition). But for the Lorenz gauge if you try to find ##\lambda## from the first equation, it will be a function of V and when you plug it in ##V' = V - \frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}##, V' will be different from V so the V you used in ##\nabla A = -\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}## is not anymore the same? So how do you prove it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2

Twigg

Gold Member

Suppose ##\vec{A}## and ##V## are the potentials in the Coulomb gauge, and that you have already solved them from the relevant form of Maxwell's equations. Now, you want to prove that you can choose a value of ##\lambda## in the gauge transformation formulas you gave such that the resulting ##\vec{A}'## and ##V'## satisfy the Lorenz gauge condition: ##div(\vec{A}') + \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial V'}{\partial t} = 0##. If you substitute in the gauge transformation formulas and the Coulomb gauge condition, ##div(\vec{A}) = 0##, then you will find ##\Box \lambda = -\frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial V'}{\partial t}## if my algebra isn't messed up, where the ##\Box## is the wave equation operator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted