What prehistoric treasures lie beneath Los Angeles?

• Thread starter 256bits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fossils
In summary: This is a really cool article about what is happening at the La Brea Tar Pits. They have been finding fossils there for a long time, and now they are finding more and more every year. The tunnels that the workers are digging are going farther and farther down, and they are finding things from 1000 years ago.
256bits
Gold Member
Ever wonder what is under the ground you are walking on?
No, neither do I, usually.
But, if anything, at least a record of the history of the Earth lies under your feet.

Tunnels diggers in Los Angeles are finding fossils going back 1000's of years.
In this Aug. 15, 2017 photo, paleontologist Ashley Leger shows a skull of a young Columbian mammoth found at the construction site of the Metro Purple Line extension in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles subway system is expanding and so too are the number of prehistoric fossils being recovered as crews dig beneath the city. Since work on one extension began in 2014, workers have routinely turned up fossilized remains of rabbits, camels, bison and other creatures that roamed the region during the last Ice Age. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)
https://phys.org/news/2017-12-subway-paleontology-la-unEarth's-fossil.html

Likes jim mcnamara, BillTre, Charles Link and 3 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Pretty awesome! I hope the builders let the scientists peak about even if it slows them down.

Likes Charles Link
The La Brea Tar Pits are right in the center of L.A.= Los Angeles, and they have turned up many fossils: https://tarpits.org/la-brea-tar-pits I never went into the museum, but I did ride the Wilshire Boulevard bus right by the place quite a number of times.

Last edited:
There was also a report this morning from CBS - heard the vocals on the local radio station carrying the CBS update of news of the week.
I would never have guessed that beneath Los Angeles there was such a rich collection of fossils.
I suppose I used the incorrect word - history without the pre-.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
The La Brea Tar Pits are right in the center of L.A.= Los Angeles, and they have turned up many fossils: https://tarpits.org/la-brea-tar-pits I never went into the museum, but I did ride the Wilshire Boulevard bus right by the place quite a number of times.
Close enough I suppose.:biggrin:

Likes Charles Link
Greg Bernhardt said:
Pretty awesome! I hope the builders let the scientists peak about even if it slows them down.
Apparently if the workers find something, they report the find, and move to work on an area farther removed.

1. What types of fossils were found in the Los Angeles dig?

The fossils found in the Los Angeles dig were primarily marine invertebrate fossils, including clams, snails, and bivalves. However, there were also some rare vertebrate fossils, such as shark teeth and fish bones.

2. How old are the fossils found in the Los Angeles dig?

The fossils found in the Los Angeles dig are estimated to be between 10,000 and 20,000 years old. This time period is known as the Pleistocene epoch and is characterized by a series of ice ages.

3. What does the discovery of these fossils tell us about the history of Los Angeles?

The discovery of these fossils tells us that Los Angeles was once underwater during the Pleistocene epoch. This gives us insight into the changing landscape and environment of the area over thousands of years.

4. How were the fossils preserved in the Los Angeles dig?

The fossils were preserved through a process known as mineralization, where minerals from the surrounding sediment replace the original organic material of the organism, creating a fossil. The fossils were also protected by layers of sediment, which prevented decay and erosion.

5. What significance do these fossils have for scientific research?

The fossils found in the Los Angeles dig provide valuable information about the evolution of marine life during the Pleistocene epoch. They can also help scientists understand the environmental conditions of the area during this time period and how it has changed over time.

Back