1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Losing interest

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    I'm only a freshman in college so I still have plenty of time to decide but I'm sort of worried by my E&M class. I adored AP Physics in high school and I really wanted to pursue it. Now I'm taking E&M in college and it doesn't seem nearly as interesting. Could it just be because I already took most of this material last year?
    In Physics I feel like all we are doing is getting equations and rearranging them.
    I'm leaning towards straight mathematics now because my Calc class seems so much more interesting.
    The Calc class covers mostly methods for solving integrals, some ODE, and series etc. I feel like the math is truly making me think more critically in new ways while the physics is just plug n' chug.

So my question is if anyone has felt similarly? Is it just because its a lower level course?
    Will the flame rekindle once I go to classes that involves more math besides algebra and
    basic integrals?

I feel like I only loved Physics because of the math...But If I were to be a mathematician I think I would go crazy because while I enjoy how abstract it is I would like some grounding in reality.

I feel like I'm asking for ways to stay in love with my wife :)

Thanks for any responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    My into electricity and magnetism course was similar to yours. It seemed like every chapter we were given a bunch of equations and could often solve the problems just by knowing the equations. Don't be discouraged though, after learning more math this will not be the case. Many of the relationships require more mathematical maturity to derive so they are simply given to you at the introductory level. Similar to how without calculus one might be given an equation of position, velocity, and acceleration.

After taking differential equations and linear algebra, it became clear where many of those formulas came from. Good luck!

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Is your class just physics majors? Probably not if it is an intro course, so it might be dumbed down a little anyways. Don't get discouraged so soon, intro classes are generally not that challenging especially if you had the same material in high school.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    JD88: Yeah it is an intro class and its mainly engineers.
    Piru: I'm glad to hear that this might just be a step towards something more engaging.
    Cool. I think I knew things were only temporary I'm just ranting because I'm kind of bored. But yeah I don't hate the class, just want to do some things more in depth.
    Thanks to both.

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5
    You won't see many plug and chug problems after your intro sequence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook