Lost in the Threads of PF - Simplify Navigation

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
In summary: I use it, but not for recent threads. Just the opposite. I use it to bookmark posts that I may want to quote years from now in a future thread. Without bookmarks, it can be surprisingly hard to find posts with search.
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I often lose the thread I'm reading in the complexity of the organizational system here at PF. There are four breakdowns within classical Physics, and another section where threads without further delineation are placed. Thats potentially five places to look under just one topic (and there are usually many topics which a thread may be under because of the nature of the material). Is there a filter that can be made for "recently viewed" that can be applied to the whole site in say over the last week or so for each user?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
If you worry about it, then bookmark a thread as soon as you realize you are interested in it and then if you build up too many bookmarks, delete some of them. OR ... mark the thread as "watch" and then you can click on "watched threads" under "forums".

Likes Greg Bernhardt, fresh_42 and berkeman
phinds said:
If you worry about it, then bookmark a thread as soon as you realize you are interested in it and then if you build up too many bookmarks, delete some of them. OR ... mark the thread as "watch" and then you can click on "watched threads" under "forums".
I see the watched threads, but how does the bookmark work (where do I find them)?

EDIT; Never mind, I've found bookmarks under user profile.

Also, I forget to watch them if I don't reply, that is the problem (am I really the only user that experiences this). You can say, "just remember to manually do this", and if that is the M.O., so be it, but this is meant to be a suggestion for improving usability.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Greg Bernhardt
Click on "watch" if you want to get alerts on new posts in a thread.
Check your options so that you really get alerts.
Bookmarks work on your browser level. It depends on which browser you use. I recommend defining an extra folder for it.
You can open "my content" in case you have replied.
You can search the forum, advanced if you need a specification.
You can look up your browser history if everything else failed.

Now, what exactly do you suggest to be added?

fresh_42 said:
Now, what exactly do you suggest to be added?
Again...with usability in mind.

A "recently viewed filter" would negate steps 1-6 you suggested 99.9% of the time.

erobz said:
Again...with usability in mind.

A "recently viewed filter" would negate steps 1-6 you suggested 99.9% of the time.
Recently viewed is what your browser does anyway. I do not see a reason to copy what already exists.

fresh_42 said:
Recently viewed is what your browser does anyway. I do not see a reason to copy what already exists.
It's still less efficient IMO. The idea would be a clean/condensed version of "browser history" specific to PF.

Like I said. If that's that MO that's the MO! Just a suggestion...thanks for the feedback

Likes Lnewqban
But in addition to browser bookmarks, PF has it's own bookmark facility. Find it by clicking USER on the top toolbar.

anorlunda said:
But in addition to browser bookmarks, PF has it's own bookmark facility. Find it by clicking USER on the top toolbar.
Yeah, I found bookmarks...I just forget to use it in most cases.

Likes Lnewqban
erobz said:
Same here.
Your suggestion is very good, seems to me; perhaps to difficult to implement here.

Likes erobz
erobz said:
I use it, but not for recent threads. Just the opposite. I use it to bookmark posts that I may want to quote years from now in a future thread. Without bookmarks, it can be surprisingly hard to find posts with search.

Likes mfb, Wrichik Basu, Lnewqban and 1 other person

1. What is "Lost in the Threads of PF - Simplify Navigation"?

"Lost in the Threads of PF - Simplify Navigation" is a scientific study that aims to improve the navigation of a website called PF. It focuses on simplifying the navigation process for users to make it more efficient and user-friendly.

2. Why is navigation important for a website?

Navigation is important for a website because it allows users to easily find and access the information they are looking for. A well-designed navigation system can improve the user experience and increase the overall usability of a website.

3. What methods were used in this study?

This study used a combination of user testing, surveys, and data analysis to gather information about the current navigation system of PF and identify areas for improvement. It also utilized principles of user-centered design to create a more intuitive and efficient navigation system.

4. What were the main findings of this study?

The main findings of this study were that the current navigation system of PF was confusing and overwhelming for users, leading to frustration and difficulty in finding information. It also revealed that simplifying the navigation process and reducing the number of options can greatly improve the user experience.

5. How can this study benefit website designers and developers?

This study can benefit website designers and developers by providing insights and recommendations on how to improve the navigation system of a website. It also highlights the importance of user testing and user-centered design in creating a user-friendly website. By implementing the findings of this study, designers and developers can enhance the overall usability and effectiveness of their websites.