Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Losing | wining | learning | pride

1. Apr 22, 2004 #1
    is it better have more winning in ur life without any losing.

or losing and wining must be balance ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2
    depends on your life's mission. many win by losing!

i learned some of my most significant lessons from mistakes, or losing.

meditate, listen to your inner self and decide.

love & peace,
    olde drunk

4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    Losing is the best way to learn. If you always get what you want, why would you bother to better yourself? A child who is handed everything in life will most likely grow up an aloof individual who does not know how to get what they want unless it's handed to them, while a child who didn't have everything will know the meaning of work and will know how to get what he wants by using his intelligence.

5. Apr 22, 2004 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

So the one who makes mistakes wins, and the one who has everything handed to him on a golden platter loses. It's still better to win.

6. Apr 22, 2004 #5
    But....aren't learning from your mistakes and "bettering yourself" only useful if you have some better conditions to arrive at? If you already have everything that you need and want, what point is their in learning from mistakes? Should you go down just so you can come back up?

7. Apr 22, 2004 #6
    Winning and losing are balanced, i think.
    if you win, your enemy will lose
    if you lose, he will be happy

It depends on who you are, means your characters...

Will you still laugh when you lose ?
    I think when I am happy, someone will be sad...and thats it, they hit each other...

Just a couple of thoughts...
    :)

8. Apr 22, 2004 #7
    In the case of children, sooner or later you won't be able to provide the little brat the unreasonable request that (s)he wants. That is why it is important to teach kids at a young age that they must do without a certain toy or whatever even if it seems insignificant to you. It only gets worse as they grow up. Not being able to simply hand over a car to your teenager is a very common thing. If you can't handle saying no to an 8 year old, how do you expect to say no to a 16 year old?

Incidentally, it is THERE, not THEIR.

9. Apr 22, 2004 #8
    Sometimes the enemy is within. So if you are desperatly trying to quit smoking and you fall of the wagon, do you actually win? It's not necessarily about winning and losing.

10. Apr 22, 2004 #9
    The people who win all the time will end up being brash, overconfident, arrogent people. Once they finally do lose, their sense of invulnerability is gone and they dont quite know what to make of the situation.

Chronically losing all the time may lead to some psychological issues though... "I lost every single game, I suck, no one likes me, time to hit the bottle."

Its probably better to have a good mixture of both and finally beating your goal at the end.

11. Apr 22, 2004 #10
    No one person can win at all times. If everything is handed to you, you will still have many things to know about. The more you are pampered the less prepared you are for the unexpected. Perhaps your familys wealth tumbles and your family is now poor. To survive you must work and work is extra hard compared to those who work hard and learn from mistakes. Perhaps money doesn't buy you out of trouble and you have to prepare for a last minuite fight with some experinced fighter. Result you get beaten. But for those who afford martial arts teachings are those who take time to learn. Martial arts is a skill learned and can not just be handed to you. Of course if one was rich enough they can learn from that fight and hire body gaurds from now on.

We all lose, maybe not in dollars. But we all lose.

12. Apr 22, 2004 #11
    Why do you seem so pessimistic ?
    I believe things change everyday, if I can be satisfied for even a moment about anything, I think I win...
    i dont know, there are things that sometimes makes me feel really sad but also help me realize a lot of other things, like learning by trials and errors...
    :smile:
    Everything will get over soon, we will be fine then on...

13. Apr 24, 2004 #12
    We all win also, although some may think they do not win, you can choose to see a bad situation and make it a good thing. You get hurt, your experince and new knowledge will prevent it from happening again. Just make sure it doesn't effect you in mental ways. You get hurt take time to learn and heal instead of keeping your mental wound open. You can only bleed so much before something worse happens.

14. Apr 25, 2004 #13
    umm i reliaze something my new meaning

u live u go for win and get pride, once your prideness gets to a limit (a varible )

u will lose for sure. once u lose u learn deeply again. and back to wining.

but if u did not learn ur lesson u will lose faith and this cycle will end.

so the best way to win, is stand on the lose's side, and learn they leason while have pride.

15. Apr 25, 2004 #14
    Do you want to be a loser in a game ?
    Or do you think that you are winning ?

16. Apr 25, 2004 #15
    sounds like a new philosophy section -value theory-

sometimes i win by losing and sometimes i lose by winning. sigh........

love&peace,
    olde drunk

17. Apr 25, 2004 #16
    What are the criteria on which one evalutes their winnings and losings?
    Depending on what criteria one believes to be true would determine if they win or lose in a given situation but what if I've never questioned my criteria for truthfulness? Surely they were not given to me or someone who told me I must follow them I would remember that, but then if most everyone believes in a certain criteria to define winning then for practical purposes isn't it true. If I always lose but enjoy the challenge of a game is it still losing?
    Which is more important, to be forever challenged(not just mentally) or to always win(by some uncertain criteria)?
    Does a way of thinking lead to humility or does acting humble lead to a way of thinking, and if I can act well then wouldn't it be more effecient to get the desired effects to be a good actor? What are the good effects of pride? What is the difference between pride and arrogance?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  18. Apr 25, 2004 #17
    I also dont see the good effects of pride but I believe as humans, we all like to be said something good rather then something bad. It is human psychology right? I dont think there are many people who will be happy when their talents are being looked down on. What we need is good comments and some of the bad ones sometimes can hurt our feelings. But I also think this can still depend on some situations especially when we are not in a good mood, we fails doing something etc.
    I think pride and arrogance are 2 different things. Pride cant make up arrogance but arrogance can grow pride, because you think you win when you get arrogant. Sometimes you can fail but at least it gives you a moment telling or doing what is inside you telling you to do, and this can make you relax your bottled feelings for a while...
    Getting arrogant I think is just make things worse, and doesnot turn us to be looked as civilized people...Since arrogance can lead to cruelty and much more, I actually dont think I like to make friends with those much...
    Sometimes pride can bring one happiness but it also hurt people surrounding...i dont say I amnot proud of what i have but if I can still keep my pride as a little happiness within my close friends, my relatives, my family, I think I am still so much proud of it, and that is also what I am still trying to learn, today, tomorrow, and maybe forever...

19. Apr 25, 2004 #18
    hey arrogance is a better word i should use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

vance : no certainly i dont want to lose , but when wining try to stand on loser's point of view u will learn a lot. otherwise u will become arrogance

20. Apr 25, 2004 #19
    :) thats wat i mean if pride gets to a limit it trun to arrgance and things become ugly eventually he/she will lose. then a leasson will be taught simtaneously ^^

21. Apr 25, 2004 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I fail to see the issue with arrogance. It can bite you in the ass if you're shortsighted or become blinded by it, as has happened with many previously successful military leaders, such as Lee and Hitler, but I don't see anything wrong with the state of being arrogant, or even of arrogant actions provided they are successful actions.

Heck, I think arrogance is pretty damn attractive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?