Why Doesn't Earth Lose Atmosphere Over Time?

In summary: Not a lot really.Earth is also continually collecting more mass as junk falls into its gravity well? That is, the process that originally formed the big blue ball still continues to some small degree?Yes, but it doesn't seem to be having a large effect on our atmosphere.
ChemGuy
Why doesn't the Earth lose it's atmosphere eventually? I realize that gravity generally keeps the atmosphere close to the Earth but over a long period of time I would expect that we would lose some amount to the vacuum of space and the solor winds. Over millions of years we would lose it all! Whats the deal?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It will dissipate. But it is being refreshed by volcanism and other processes that liberate elements from the Earth's core.

Volcanism doesn't 'liberate elements from the Earth's core'!

Sorry but people keep talking about the core as some kind of generic name for the whole earth, and it's getting to me. Volcanism releases gases and magma which under a continental setting is recycled crust, or in an oceanic setting comes from the upper mantle.

The inner core is made of pure iron.

You're right Billiards, it seems kind of a habit. I don't think Earth is losing a lot of atmospheric molecules. The energy levels for escaping the gravity field seem to be much higher than the actual molecular speeds.

billiards said:
Volcanism doesn't 'liberate elements from the Earth's core'!
Agreed. I thought long and hard about the right word, but came up with nothing general enough.

"Volcanism liberates elements from underground" seemed to miss the point.

so back to the question, there are a lot of reasons why our atomosphere does not dissapear.

First is our gravity... It requires a velocity of 11.2 km/s to escape our gravitational field, which means that it would require each particle to have very high temperature (high energy) to get out.

Second is our magnetosphere. The magnetic field created by the rotating iron core deflects charged particles from the sun (the same reason we get auras), meaning that out atmosphere doesn't get as much energy as it could= less energy= less temeperature= harder to escape.

Third is the quantity. There is about 10^21 Kg of atmosphere! (really rough estimate) Even if we were losing 2 tons of atmosphere a day, it would still take more than 14 trillion years to lose it all.

Fourth is: yes, volcanic activity. As we are losing gas into outer space, we are gaining it back from inside the earth, creating an equalibrium.

I may be missing some reasons, but the main point is, i don't think we have to worry about losing our atmosphere. A bigger focus should be cleaning it up a bit.

Isnt the Earth also continually collecting more mass as junk falls into its gravity well? That is, the process that originally formed the big blue ball still continues to some small degree?

mheslep said:
Isnt the Earth also continually collecting more mass as junk falls into its gravity well? That is, the process that originally formed the big blue ball still continues to some small degree?

"Steel (1995) indicates that at present, about 40,000 tonnes of extraterrestrial material collides with the Earth each year but when the effects of larger impacts are taken into account the average over long periods becomes 160,000 tonnes per year."
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/horsts/transpermia.html

So only about a hefty ocean cruiser's worth.

1. Why doesn't Earth's atmosphere escape into space?

Earth's atmosphere is held in place by the force of gravity. The Earth's gravity is strong enough to keep the gases in our atmosphere from drifting off into space.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect the atmosphere?

The Earth's magnetic field also plays a role in protecting our atmosphere. It acts like a shield, deflecting harmful solar winds that could strip our atmosphere away.

3. What is the role of the ozone layer in preventing atmospheric loss?

The ozone layer is a protective layer in our atmosphere that absorbs harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun. This radiation can break apart gas molecules in our atmosphere, causing them to escape into space. The ozone layer acts as a barrier, preventing this loss of gases.

4. How does the Earth's rotation help maintain the atmosphere?

The Earth's rotation creates centrifugal force, which helps to keep the atmosphere in place. Without this force, the Earth's gravity would not be strong enough to hold onto the gases in our atmosphere.

5. Could Earth lose its atmosphere in the future?

As long as the Earth's gravity and magnetic field remain stable, it is unlikely that our atmosphere will be lost. However, certain events like a massive asteroid impact or a dramatic shift in the Earth's magnetic field could potentially lead to atmospheric loss over time.