How Much Energy Is Lost When a Sledgehammer Hits a Stationary Merry-Go-Round?

In summary: And just after impact?After the impact, the hammer is in rest. So the angular momentum of the system will be just the angular momentum of the merry-go-round. Which is still just product of distance to the axis and moment of merry-go-round.Correct. Now, what is the total angular momentum of the system about the axle of the merry-go-round at rest?The total angular momentum of the system before and after the collision about the center of the merry-go-round is the same. This is because there is no external torque acting on the system, so the angular momenta of the individual components must be conserved. Therefore, the total angular momentum of the system about the axle of the merry-go-round at rest is the same
Tanero

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round is sitting in a playground. It is free to rotate, but is currently stationary. You can model it as a uniform disk of mass 220 kg and radius 100 cm (consider the metal poles to have a negligible mass compared to the merry-go-round). The poles near the edge are 86 cm from the center.

Someone hits one of the poles with a 9 kg sledgehammer moving at 15 m/s in a direction tangent to the edge of the merry-go-round. The hammer is not moving after it hits the merry-go-round.

How much energy is lost in this collision? (enter a positive number for the absolute value in Joules)

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum
KE of rotation =.5mv2
KE of linear motion = .5Iω2
Lost of energy=KErot-KElinear

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that hummer hit pole tangentially and collision was elastic.
My way of thinking is that energy transfer of KE of linear motion to KE of rotation. Thus I need to find KElinear and KErot. Where KElinear is easy to find.

To find KErot, first, apply conservation of momentum.
mhvh=mdvd
Linear momentum was transferred to rotational motion. Where vd is tangential velocity of disk. vd is velocity of hummer. Then, v=ωd (d-distance from center to metal pole)
From these, I can find ω and put it into my KErot

Than I can find my energy loss. Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Minor nit but you wrote your relevant equations a bit off interchanging linear KE and rotational KE equations

From what the problem said all the linear KE is transferred to the rotational KE so that means

KE linear = KE rotation

so you need to compute the I in the Ke rotation knowing that its a disk of a certain mass and diameter rotating about a certain axis.

@ jedishrfu
I don't think these KE are equal.

I found, that KE of rot is less than KE linear. Maybe because the force is applied not at the rim but at some distance. That's why I got some energy loss.

Is my approach to find omega right? omega is only thing missing in KE of rot.

I moved your thread to introductory physics homework.

Tanero said:
conservation of momentum
Momentum can be transferred to the axis of rotation, it does not have to be conserved.
Tanero said:
I assume that hummer hit pole tangentially and collision was elastic.
If the collision would be elastic, no energy would be lost.
jedishrfu said:
From what the problem said all the linear KE is transferred to the rotational KE so that means

KE linear = KE rotation
That approach does not work. The problem statement directly says that energy is lost (and you can verify this with a calculation).Angular momentum is the correct approach.

mfb said:
Momentum can be transferred to the axis of rotation, it does not have to be conserved.
Just to clarify mfb's remark...
When the hammer struck the pole, the merry-go-round did not go sliding across the park. This is because there was an equal and opposite (parallel) reaction from the axle in the middle. That's why we can't use conservation of linear momentum here - we don't know the magnitude of that impulse. We can eliminate it from consideration by taking moments about the axle. It has no moment about that point.

Likes 1 person
@ haruspex,
if I consider torques about center of rotation, I then come to conclusion that angular momentum right before the collision equals angular momentum right after, right?

Torques don't help (you do not have a collision time), but angular momentum before and after the collision is the same, right (if you define your axis properly).

Likes 1 person
@mfb
I considered that angular momenta before and after are conserved about center of rotation of the merry-go-round. I don't see any other axis helpful. What do you mean properly?

Tanero said:
@mfb
I considered that angular momenta before and after are conserved about center of rotation of the merry-go-round. I don't see any other axis helpful. What do you mean properly?
I believe that's the axis mfb had in mind. Perhaps "smartly" would have been clearer.
But mfb's point is that the hammer supplied an impulsive angular momentum, i.e. a change to the angular momentum in an unknown short time. Hence the torque, as such, cannot be known, but is uninteresting.
So, what is the total angular momentum of the system (merry-go-round+hammer) about the axis just before impact?

Likes 1 person
Angular momentum of the system is just product of distance to the axis and moment of hammer before the impact.

Tanero said:
Angular momentum of the system is just product of distance to the axis and moment of hammer before the impact.
Yes.

Likes 1 person

1. What is loss of energy to rotation?

Loss of energy to rotation refers to the decrease in energy that occurs when an object or system rotates. This loss of energy is typically due to friction and other forces acting on the rotating object.

2. How does friction cause loss of energy to rotation?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When an object rotates, there is friction between the rotating object and its surroundings, causing a loss of energy in the form of heat. This heat energy is then dissipated into the environment, resulting in a decrease in the object's rotational energy.

3. What are some examples of loss of energy to rotation in real life?

There are many examples of loss of energy to rotation in daily life. Some common examples include the loss of energy in a spinning top as it slows down and eventually falls over, the loss of energy in a bicycle wheel as it slows down from rolling, and the loss of energy in a wind turbine as it converts rotational energy into electrical energy.

4. How can we reduce or prevent loss of energy to rotation?

To reduce or prevent loss of energy to rotation, we can minimize friction between the rotating object and its surroundings. This can be achieved by using lubricants, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the weight of the rotating object. Additionally, using more efficient designs and materials can also help to minimize energy loss.

5. What are the consequences of significant loss of energy to rotation?

Significant loss of energy to rotation can have various consequences depending on the situation. In some cases, it can result in decreased efficiency and performance of rotating systems, such as engines and turbines. It can also lead to the need for more frequent maintenance and replacement of parts. In extreme cases, loss of energy to rotation can cause system failure or accidents, especially in high-speed rotating systems.