Loss of Mechanical Energy after Collision

In summary, a 1200-kg car traveling at 25.0 m/s collides with the rear end of a 9000-kg truck moving at 20.0 m/s in the same direction. After the collision, the car's velocity is 18.0 m/s to the east. Using the equations of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, it can be determined that the velocity of the truck after the collision is 20.933 m/s to the east. The loss of mechanical energy in the collision is calculated to be 9307.95 J. There is a discrepancy between this value and the answer in the book, which is 8.68 kJ.
lizzyb

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car traveling initially with a speed of 25.0 m/s in an easterly direction crashes into the rear end of a 9000-kg truck moving in the same direction at 20.0 m/s. The velocity of the car right after the collision is 18.0 m/s to the east. (a) What is the velocity of the truck right after the collision? (b) How much mechanical energy is lost in the collision? Account for this loss of energy.

It's sub-question (b) that's causing trouble.

Homework Equations

[tex]m_1 v_{1i} + m_2 v_{2i} = m_1 v_{1f} + m_2 v_{2f}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_1 v_{1f}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2f}^2 - (\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1i}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2i}^2) = - \Delta KE[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part (a) fine and substituted those values into the second equation above but the answer was not the same as in the book. What could possibly be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What answer did you get, and what does the book say is the correct answer? We'll be able to point out which is correct!

ok, for solving (a) where vehicle 2 is the truck, 1 is the car:

[tex]v_{2f} = \frac{m_1(v_{1i}-v_{1f})}{m2} + v_{2i} = -20.933 m/s[/tex]

So we have:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_1 v_{1f}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2f}^2 - (\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1i}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2i}^2) = \frac{1}{2} 1200 (-25)^2 + \frac{1}{2} 9000 (-20.93)^2 - (\frac{1}{2} 1200 (-25)^2 + \frac{1}{2} 9000 (-20)^2) = -9307.95[/tex]

and the book says 8.68 kJ.

Last edited:
I get the same answer as you for the loss in kinetic energy (9307J). Although, the speed of the truck after the collision is 20.933m/s (not -20.933).

i put the negative direction as going to the east.

Oh, ok, I can see that in the equation now! Well, both your solutions are correct then.

ok thanks - normally the book is correct. i'll keep plugging away then! :-)

1. What is "loss of mechanical energy after collision"?

Loss of mechanical energy after collision refers to the decrease in the total amount of kinetic and potential energy of a system after a collision occurs between two objects.

2. What causes the loss of mechanical energy after collision?

The loss of mechanical energy after collision is primarily caused by the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved in the collision.

3. Is the loss of mechanical energy after collision always significant?

The amount of loss of mechanical energy after collision depends on various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects, and the type of collision. In some cases, the loss may be negligible, while in others it can be significant.

4. Can the loss of mechanical energy after collision be prevented?

In an isolated system, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy remains constant. Therefore, it is not possible to prevent the loss of mechanical energy after collision completely. However, measures can be taken to minimize the loss, such as using elastic collisions instead of inelastic collisions.

5. How does the loss of mechanical energy after collision affect real-life situations?

The loss of mechanical energy after collision can have practical implications in various real-life situations, such as car accidents or sports injuries. It is important to understand and consider the effects of this loss in order to design and implement safety measures and prevent potential harm.