Loss of motivation when research becomes 9-5 job.

In summary, the speaker, a PhD student in Chemical Engineering, admits to struggling with finding motivation for their research project. They find it easier to get excited about solving problems unrelated to their work, but when faced with similar problems in their research, it becomes a chore. They wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and if there are any tips for enjoying their research work more. Another person responds, stating that creativity often involves a lot of hard work and that the speaker just needs to push through and do it.
tom26
I'm 6 months into a PhD (admittedly in Chemical Engineering, not physics, but my project has a modelling bent) and, as the title suggests, I've been struggling to find motivation day in and day out.

It's silly: give me an interesting problem in a project not related to my work (say a math problem, a logic puzzle, or even a chem-engg textbook problem) and I'll get excited about it and happily put effort into solving it. But somehow when I'm faced with a similar, interesting problem to solve in my project (many of which could easily be questions in that same textbook), I find it's much more of a slog. Somehow I seem to classify it as 'work', as a chore to be done. It's as if my obligation to solve this particular problem drains the interest and joy I'd otherwise have. And research work becomes less of an interesting path of discovery (which objectively speaking, it should be) and instead feels like a daily grind.

I know there are a lot of people here who've made a profession of research. Has anyone else had the same experience? Do you have any tips on tricking yourself to enjoy the interesting things you ought to think about as much as the interesting things which are of no value to you whatsoever?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's life. Many of the most creative efforts are 95% slog. You just have to make yourself do it.

Likes tom26

1. Why do scientists experience a loss of motivation when research becomes a 9-5 job?

Scientists are inherently curious and driven individuals who are passionate about their work. However, when research becomes a 9-5 job, it can start to feel mundane and routine. This can cause a sense of monotony and lack of excitement, leading to a loss of motivation.

2. How can scientists combat a loss of motivation when research becomes a 9-5 job?

One way to combat a loss of motivation is to set specific goals and deadlines for your research. This can help create a sense of urgency and keep you motivated. Additionally, taking breaks, pursuing hobbies outside of work, and collaborating with colleagues can also help reignite your passion for research.

3. Is it normal for scientists to experience a loss of motivation in their research?

Yes, it is normal for scientists to experience a loss of motivation at some point in their careers. Research can be a challenging and mentally draining process, and it is natural for motivation levels to fluctuate. The key is to find ways to stay motivated and passionate about your work.

4. Can a loss of motivation affect the quality of a scientist's research?

Yes, a loss of motivation can have a negative impact on the quality of a scientist's research. When motivation is low, it can be difficult to stay focused and committed to the project at hand. This can lead to a decrease in productivity and potentially impact the accuracy and thoroughness of the research.

5. Are there any long-term consequences of a loss of motivation for scientists?

If not addressed, a loss of motivation can have long-term consequences for scientists. It can lead to burnout, which can have detrimental effects on mental and physical health. It can also affect career advancement and opportunities, as lack of motivation can result in a decrease in productivity and quality of work.