Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost a long reply

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    I spent 5 minutes writing a reply and posted it and accidentally hit the delete button instead of the edit. It took me to a new page and I think asked for confirmation. Without thinking I hit the back button instead of answering the confirmation and it was already deleted. I don't think it's supposed to work like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what you are talking about - how do you "hit the delete button instead of the edit"? There is no delete button that you could hit INSTEAD of edit button. Do you mean you posted, tried to edit your post, and clicked delete then?

There is a chance that you got back to the thread where your post is just not displayed, please refresh the window. To save on bandwidth when you post page is modified locally using javascript - your browser caches old version, so when you get back to the cached version it doesn't show your post, even if it is the database.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

When typing long posts, it's advisable do a "select all" and "save" from time to time, just in case of things like this. OR ... you can type in something like notepad and then paste into the thread.

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

6. Sep 22, 2013 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Agreed! It's best to write long detailed responses/posts in a text editor, e.g., Notepad, Wordpad, or my preference, TextPad, saving it periodically, then copy and paste the text into site editor.

7. Sep 22, 2013 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

An alternative is to write at top of a post you expect to be long:

"Post in progress"
    , and then save it, and go back to re-editing it.

8. Sep 22, 2013 #7
    I'm sorry this has happened. It's very frustrating! What browser are you using. I think most newer version of browsers will often retain the form information.

9. Sep 22, 2013 #8

Evo

The works of sheer genius I've lost to the dreaded "ooops". Sometimes you can go back, or refresh, but if you accidentally close the browser, it's usually a lost cause (in chrome). Is there some setting I don't know about that sends you a "are you sure you want to close with an unsaved page?"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. Sep 22, 2013 #9
    I am quite sure the O.P.s were quite thankful that you couldn't shear their threads....
    :biggrin:

11. Sep 22, 2013 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

5 minutes is not a long reply to lose.
    5 hours is a long reply to lose.

12. Sep 22, 2013 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think of it as a rite of passage!

13. Sep 22, 2013 #12

Evo

LOL, corrected.

14. Sep 22, 2013 #13

Borek

So, we have 12 posts in the thread, but we are not even yet sure if OP really lost the post...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook