Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost and found

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know you've done it. You can't find something that you're looking for and when you finally find it, you wonder why you didn't look there in the first place.

Me yesterday: I was getting ready for an afternoon run. As I am going out the door, I get my watch and a key to the door. But the key wasn't where it should be. I looked all over the house for it and couldn't find it anywhere. Just as I was about to give up and get another key, I patted my pocket and there it was. I got the key first and then got distracted when I noticed that the watch needed to be changed for daylight savings time. By the time I had changed the time, I had forgotten that I already had the key. :rolleyes:

Feel free to add your own stories of embarrassing forgetfulness or just enjoy these other instances of Forgetful Moments.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I once spent over 1/2 hour searching for my glasses and then realized that I was wearing them...

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    Ah they keys. Must have happened to almost everyone.

The keys as well. In my pocket they fell.
    My eyeglasses around. In my face they were found.
    The homework of class. In the backpack it was.
    My chess made of wood. In my own room it stood.

♫Tiriri ri ri ri ri. Tiriri ri ri ri ri.♫

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

All is well as one finds the lost item in the last place checked.

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I remember hurrying to school and not being able to close the flat because I couldn't locate the keys - they were not on the shelf where I always put them. Took me quite long time to realize I already picked them and I have them in my hand.

That was when I was a teenager, since then I made a huge progress.

7. Nov 6, 2014 #6

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I have a rule of thumb which has helped on many occasions:

If you can't find something anywhere, start again from the first place you would expect it to be, but look harder.

It works for the obvious reason that when you first fail to find something in the usual place, you are likely to skip to the next place without trying too hard, and it's only when you've exhausted all the usual places that you start looking more carefully.

8. Nov 6, 2014 #7
    I am short-sighted and have to wear a black framed pair of glasses. Today I went to the swimming pool and while being ready for home, I discovered I lost my glasses. I went back to the locker but found nothing. While I was searching up and down around the bathroom. I heard a guy speak loudly about a dropped pair of glasses of someone in the front door. I went out to see a guy picking it up and going toward the clothe changing room. I told him it was mine but he denied and refused to return it to me. I left the pool feeling really sad. I mumbled all the way home angrily. It was raining and the night began to fall. I could hardly see anything and all of a sudden I hit the road bump unexpectedly that fell me down on the street. And there I also saw my glasses falling out from my backpack put in my bicycle's basket.
    Amen! I cursed the poor guy!

9. Nov 6, 2014 #8

russ_watters

Last week I lost my phone for a day and a half....the first day of the year that was cold enough to wear a jacket to work and the following day, which was warmer...

10. Nov 6, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

It always leaves me shaking my head when some dip asks why that happens. :rolleyes:

Yeah... now you have carkeys to lose as well...

11. Nov 6, 2014 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha can relate to that
    house key car key company and other keys and a USB stick all on the one keyring
    was trying to get out of house to go to work one morning, couldn't find my keys, cant get the car started without it
    after 20 mins still couldn't find so has to use the spare key for the car

got home that nite and switched on the computer and there in the USB port was my USB stick and all the keys :rolleyes:

a month or so later did the same thing but after 5 - 10 mins looking, a vague memory told me to check the puter
    and I got the keys :)

I put it down to old age and CRAFTS Disease ( Cant Remember A Flaming Thing)

Dave

12. Nov 6, 2014 #11

berkeman

LOL :-)

I couldn't find my wristwatch the other morning before I headed out to work. I use my watch a lot during the day, so I was very reluctant to leave without it. I searched my apartment several times, even using Search & Rescue skills I'd learned in CERT and EMS (left-hand search, right-hand search). I finally gave up and grabbed my back-up wristwatch (an old one with a broken wristband).

Turns out my girlfriend had wanted to try out my watch that day, and took it with her, leaving a note. Of course, I was looking for a watch, not a note, so I completely missed it. Doh! :rolleyes:

13. Nov 6, 2014 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does it leave you when someone is looking at a map in a shopping mall and a part of the map reads " You Are Here" , and the person says: " How do they know?

14. Nov 7, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

15. Nov 7, 2014 #14

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A complementary rule is that when you finally find something, put it back in the first place where you looked for it.

It pays to keep keys in the same place. I've formed a habit of keeping them in the same drawer instead of leaving them in my trousers or lying randomly about the house. When I look in the drawer, I try to notice if any keys are missing, so if they do get misplaced I have an early warning of it.

I once spent a day looking for an important notebook and found it in the refrigerator.

16. Nov 7, 2014 #15
    During the course of an hour's work on my car, the ratchet, socket, or extension I need will evaporate from where I set it down and re-materialize somewhere else a dozen or so times.

17. Nov 7, 2014 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could have been worse.

18. Nov 7, 2014 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once in a while, I'd pull into my driveway after a hard day at work, just feeling like something was missing..... and look into the back seat.... and realize I forgot to pick the kids up from daycare!

19. Nov 8, 2014 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

I had lots of stories of forgetfulness but I forgot all of them the moment I start typing here! And no I'm not kidding.:(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook