1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost at the end of Undergrad.

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Hey guys.

I'm about to graduate from college with a B.S. in physics from a California State University, and I don't really know what to do next. I used to think the next step was grad school, but now I'm not so sure. My grades are about a 3.1 GPA, I have no internship / real field experience, and I didn't do so well on the physics GRE (< 50th percentile), so it seems like I'd maybe like to try something else. Hopefully related to physics / mathematics, but it could be pretty detached. I guess my main question is, was / is anyone on the forum in my position, and would there be any guidance for someone like me? I know this question is somewhat difficult to answer, but really anything is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You should look into engineering. There are lots of great careers out there in engineering. Decide which branch of engineering interests you the most, then go get an MS in that, which you could probably do in two years.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    I didn't do so well on the PGRE, if I remember I was right about 50%, I think a little under. Meh, the test was too fast for me, and I didn't really study correctly. But enough with my excuses.

Sounds as though grad school may not be the best thing for you right now. If you want to go into industry, you'll probably be looking at engineering. Maybe if you like what you work in you can later get a masters/PhD in that field.

As for me, my situation was a bit different. My grades, especially in physics, were very good, and I had a lot of research experience. I applied to physics and ECE, and decided to go into ECE for optics. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I still take physics classes, along with engineering classes, and do a lot of physics in my research. I feel as though I have a lot of options right now, and will when I graduate (years away). I feel as though the number of opportunities I have in ECE may not be possible with a physics degree. These are just my opinions though, and maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook